Cooper Lighting Motion Sensor Flood Light, Turn On Request

Hi, I'm trying to help a relative who lost the owner's manual for her Cooper Lighting model MS80W outdoor motion sensor flood light. She no longer wants the motion sensor feature, but wants to be able to turn it on and off like a regular light.

Note: She has a power switch in the house for that light.

Unfortunately a visit to Cooper's web site and a Google search did not result in a source for the owner's manual or the information we want.

Do you know a way I can convert that into a regular on/off light by way of the power switch?

Thank You in Advance, John

PS, Remove "ine" from my email address

Reply to
jaugustine

I have a different make of motion detector so this may not work but it easy enough to try.

When you want to turn the light on to steady, rapidly power off and on. I had not paid attention to this feature until one night the power to our area had what might be called a switching transient. When I got up the next morning I found the light had been on steadily. That was what got me to read the rest of the instructions to see why.

On the other hand, my next door neighbor was away and his light kept going every night as it was hardwired. The sensor shut it down during the day. I ended up unscrewing the bulbs because the guy across the street started complaining.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

did not

ht

Just open the fixture and bypass the sensor, then it will turn on and off with the wall switch.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi Charlie,

She tried your method and it didn't work, but I am not sure if she did it very quickly?

It seems logical that there must be a way to turn the light on when you want it to stay on without taking the sensor apart and bypassing that circuit. John

Reply to
jaugustine

OK. I don't know everything. I have a long list of people who will attest to that. But I do know that Google knows everything

So a quick search provided this link,

So go forth and conquer.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

That PDF file I downloaded via the cooperlighting site is for a Regent, not "Cooper Lighting". Perhaps "Regent" is the brand made by "Cooper Lighting".

Even though the model number is the same, there is a difference on the bottom of the sensor. My relative's doesn't have the slide switch. I am sure I wrote down the correct model number, because I double checked.

I will have my relative try the procedure after it is dark, turn off for

5 seconds, then turn it back on.

If that works, I will post an update.

Thanks to you and the others, John

Reply to
jaugustine

Hi Charlie,

UPDATE:

The procedure works! My relative reported after it was dark, she turned off the power switch for 5 seconds, then turned it back on, and the light stays on.

Thanks again to you and everyone, John

Reply to
jaugustine