Convergence IC - Projection TV- STK4274

Hi , Can I replace STK4274 by a STK391-020 ?

Tks...

Reply to
Maxmel

Yes you can, it just won't work. Completely different animals.

John

Reply to
John-Del

Good to know. I did some search on Internet and that is the replacement they said.

Tks for the info .

Is there any replacement ?

"John-Del" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Maxmel

Why will it not work? According to the Sanyo datasheet the STK4274 is replaced by the STK391-020.

As I have said before, you might want to include the previous post in your reply so that it is easier to determine what you are commenting about.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

So , what is the verdic ??

"Leonard Caillouet" a écrit dans le message de news:

0Rd0g.2296$pi6.1235@dukeread12...
Reply to
Maxmel

Sanyo is the OEM for these chips, and numerous techs have reported using the replacement successfully.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I have done it. I don't recall the exact pins, but you must jumper them together. IIRC they are the negative supply pins for the output stages. You also have to remove the two "bootstrap" caps.

This is all easily identifiable if you look at the datsheets. The big problem is the case size. The 391 is wider. Thus you can only use it when the ICs are clamped to the heatsink, although one time in a Zenith (I was really in a pinch) I went ahead and changed it over to the newer heatsink from a junk board.

It is still easier to just use the right part, but as we all know, ICs get discontinued. Then you have to buy them aftermarket and you can't really be sure you're getting good ones. At that point it'll be better to change over to the 391 rather than changing 4274s trying to find a good one.

I just looked, you remove the caps between 5-6 & 11-12 and install a jumper between 4-13. Simpler than many factory mods, and quicker than changing an IC three or four times or troubleshooting a waveform generator that is working perfectly.

Incidentally, in the past I would use standard OP AMP protocols to determine if the STK is bad. That means either a null point at the - in or the same waveform at the + and - in. This is not always conclusive I have found. I've had the indication that the channel was bad when it was in fact working perfectly. Apparently in some sets they let the output clip, but not bad enough to throw the convergernce off.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly