CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DIY REPAIR?

Not sure if this is the right place but I certainly will appreciate any input anyone can give me.

I have a Homedics back massager that I purchased at Walmart for $100. I refuse to just throw it away and purchase a new one (as our manufacturers want us to do).

It has, I think, some sort of short or something that's preventing it from working correctly. It only starts sometimes and quickly stops.

I want to fix it myself, if possible.

I think it could use a replacement wire from the transformer to the unit (the OEM wire seems too thin and it may already be damaged inside).

Thing is, the transformer does not have screws to open it and I don't know how to so I can put it back together.

Can anyone answer my questions and, perhaps, guide me along a bit?

(iFixIt.com seems to only focus on computer and phone devices.)

Thank you for reading this.

Reply to
mhploni

w how to so I can put it back together.

Do you have any sort of schematic for this device? And how old is it?

Here is the issue: Those sealed transformers (some are even injection-molde d around the core) are not designed to be serviced, and getting access to t he connections is risky. You might try cutting it open with either a Dremel

-type tool (very risky) or a hot knife tool (smelly) or some other means to get to the wires - and use super-glue to replace what you remove.

Do you have any means to apply power to the moving parts from another sourc e? Do you have a VOM to do some basic diagnosis of the transformer or movin g parts? Do you see your time as worth more than $0.75 per hour? Note also that the moment you cut into anything, you void the UL/CE/CA rating which i s significant only if something is really wrong.... *ZAP*, or a fire or sim ilar.

This is a soft way of suggesting that unless the repair is obvious and invo lves little time or treasure, exchange massages with your significant other , and eschew the mechanics. These little toys are not designed for the long term. Relationships, on the other hand, can always use a bit of massaging! Certainly that has been my positive and pleasurable experience.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Not sure if this is the right place but I certainly will appreciate any input anyone can give me.

I have a Homedics back massager that I purchased at Walmart for $100. I refuse to just throw it away and purchase a new one (as our manufacturers want us to do).

It has, I think, some sort of short or something that's preventing it from working correctly. It only starts sometimes and quickly stops.

I want to fix it myself, if possible.

I think it could use a replacement wire from the transformer to the unit (the OEM wire seems too thin and it may already be damaged inside).

Thing is, the transformer does not have screws to open it and I don't know how to so I can put it back together.

Can anyone answer my questions and, perhaps, guide me along a bit?

(iFixIt.com seems to only focus on computer and phone devices.)

Thank you for reading this.

I have same brand but it doesn't use external Tx, mains cable goes into bottom left corner of back, mains plug is moulded on type. Had a look to see if it would be easily worked at, the back cover has zippers which don't open in the normal way so I left it alone.I also have Homedics massage cushion which does have separate 12V DC PSU........Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

First test the output of the transformer with a meter !

I'm quite sure the transformer is not guilty.

Reply to
Look165

nput anyone can give me.

efuse to just throw it away and purchase a new one (as our manufacturers wa nt us to do).

m working correctly. It only starts sometimes and quickly stops.

(the OEM wire seems too thin and it may already be damaged inside).

w how to so I can put it back together.

If it has a bad wire, it would most likely fail right where it exists the p ower supply or right where it terminates at the plug (assuming it has one). If the wire goes directly into the device, try gently flexing right at th e messager or back at the transformer.

Reply to
ohger1s

nput anyone can give me.

efuse to just throw it away and purchase a new one (as our manufacturers wa nt us to do).

m working correctly. It only starts sometimes and quickly stops.

(the OEM wire seems too thin and it may already be damaged inside).

w how to so I can put it back together.

Thanks to everyone. It seems this brand has a rep for bad relays inside the unit. Like was said below, the unit has unusual zippers and does not open easily. I hope it's not your situation but for me $100 just doesn't come th at easily. The company does not respond to e-mails and kept me on hold for nearly 45 minutes when I called and I had to hang up.

I will not buy Homedics products.

Reply to
mhploni

SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NOW? PLAY WITH YOUR OWN SHIT LIKE SITRE MAGANA LIKES TO?

Reply to
Steve & Lynn