Computer question

I have a HP pavilion PC model XE783, System says It has 63 meg ram. I want to install more. Took the side off and looked in, It has one memory stick, There are two slots. I have come across two sticks @ 128M each. The physical size are the same as the installed one.How can I tell if they will work in my system? Thanks Charlie snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Charlie East

JR North

RTFM

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:58:46 -0600, Charlie East Has Frothed:

Pop them in and power it up.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

First of all make sure your mother board supports which type of RAM i.e. SD1 or SD2,

same thing about the two 128 MB stips also, that what type of RAM are they.. SD1 or SD2

you can ask some friendly neighbourhood computer vendor,

Reply to
munishksh

Standard PC100 or PC133 168Pin 3.3V SDRAM should be OK. Just try 'em.

Crucial or Kingston's websites have plenty of info.

Details for the HP machine are here

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Go to one of the memory sites like Mushkin or Crucial.com, as I recall they have a search engine where you can enter the model of your PC and it will tell you what type of RAM you need.

Reply to
James Sweet

Or better still, Kingston

Homer J Simpson

Ok ,I put them in and pc will not boot, So I guess they are not compatable, The original has a sticker HYM7V65801,, BTFG-10SBA-A PC100-322-620-0034, the new ones say 128MB, 877576 PC133 Thanks for the replies, guess I will just have to order the correct ones Charlie

it

Reply to
Charlie East

Looks like you need PC100 then.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

want

stick,

physical

in

Memory bus will work at the speed of the slowest component. Putting PC100 in a system that is otherwise PC133 will slow it down.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

Nope. It's actually a system with a synchronous 100HMz system bus (Intel

810 chipset, 700MHz Celeron). Check the link I posted. ;-)

PC133 memory is overspec, though probably more available. It will run at

100MHz speeds on the system, save for the few DRAM chips that are sadly incompatible with Intel 810/810E and BX chipsets. Best the OP either try with what he has been given, or check websites like Crucial or Kingston for their recomendation and system tested products.

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

PC133 *should* work at PC100 speed but in practice I've found that isn't always the case.

Reply to
James Sweet

PC100

Wasn't posting as to what he should use. Just that 100 shouldn't be used if the system is otherwise 133.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

Good advice for someone, yes. :-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

I've a feeling that the machine doesn't support sticks bigger than

64M!
--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Not according to the Crucial website:

Maximum Memory: 512MB Standard Memory: 64MB removable Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1) USB Support: 1.x Compliant

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thats great! I wasn't sure. Some of the older boards didn't like the bigger sticks.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

The website says it will take a pair of 256 MB PC133 RAM

prove it.