Computer Power Plug

My wife has an IBM ThinkPad T23 notebook computer. She's on her fourth power supply because they keep breaking at the power plug. Since the plugs are molded they cannot be repaired. I replaced the plug with a Radio Shack 2.5mm by 5.5mm plug, but it is not a good connector. It will disconnect with the slightest movement.

Since a new IBM power adapter works fine, I don't believe that there is a cold solder joint on the motherboard, although there could be. If I knew how to get into the case, I would re-solder the jack, but I could end up trashing the computer.

Does anyone know where I can get a QUALITY solder-on power plug for an IBM ThinkPad? The center wire in the cable is about 20AWG diameter, which means the flimsy Radio Shack crap is not a good fit.

It would be great to find a source for pigtails with molded plugs such that all I have to do is to put an intermediate connector on the cable.

Reply to
mcp6453

There are two distinct sets of dimensional outlines for concentric ("DC power") connectors. There is an EIA family and an EIAJ family. The former are more common in electronic supply houses incl. RatShack, while most so-called quality imported eqiupment seems to use the EIAJ outlines.

Reply to
budgie

Maybe you should try putting some reinforcing on the power plug, like covering the area most likely to break with a layer of hot glue, or maybe wrapping it with duct tape, or educating your wife to be more gentle. I have never heard of anyone doing that much damage, certainly not repeatedly.

H. R. Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

I can relate to the problem you are encountering. I have had several ThinkPad power supply DC power connectors fail at the strain relief of the cable. These things generally use a round cable that has a center conductor and a spiral wrapped shield. I have found that it is the shield that eventially breaks and fails.

I have replaced the ends with replacement plugs I purchased from Mouser. I am surprised you found the correct sized connector at Radio Shack. I have checked at their stores repeatedly over several years in several states and have never found them to carry the correct size connector (in terms if the barrel inside and outside diameters). Mouser seems to have almost all sizes available and for excellent prices. For my ThinkPad T43 and 600E model power supplies I bought the Mouser part numbers 1710-3225 (for a metal shelled unit) and 1710-2512 (for a plastic shelled plug). Both fit the DC jack on the back of the computers as good as the originals on the power bricks.

You may check out Mouser at:

- mkaras

Reply to
mkaras