Computer CPU & powersupply questions

Have a desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR1522X) that keeps locking up after the screensaver comes on, and occasionally reboots for no reason. Pulled the powersupply (Bestec ATX-250-12Z-RevD2) but didn't see anything like swollen capacitors or toasted components. Put it back in and checked the +5V. +5V is sitting at 5.16, and I did not find any adjustment pots while I had the thing open. Believing I have a flaky powersupply, I am about to order a new one, but have to ask... Do they not build the ability to adjust voltages into computer powersupplies these days? Or is it just this computer? It's almost 10 years old, but we've never really had any problems with it. I did replace the filter caps for the +5V about five years ago, cause the device would not boot and they were swollen, but that's it. Is a new PS my only real option at this point? Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Old TTL Specs say 5%V +-5%, that`s 4,75V .. 5,25V! So 5,16V is ok.

Depends how (idle or full load) and where you measured it.

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger              15h00..21h00 MEZ: SKYPE:wolfgang.allinger
Paraguay            mailer: CrossPoint XP 3.20 (XP2) in WinXPprof DOSbox

Dave,

It sounds like you are guessing at what MIGHT be wrong. That can cost you a lot of money. It could be your RAM that is flaky based upon your symptoms as well as a failing PS. I would do a RAM test for at least a half hour to see if it found anything. If that was OK, I would borrow a PS of at least the same wattage and see if that solved the problem.

There are of course some things you could do that you did not mention: Remove the RAM and clean the gold contacts with alcohol before reinstalling it. Also, is the processor heat sink filled with dust? Or is it clean? If it is clean, is the processor fan running at full speed?

How sound is the hard drive? You might run a diagnostic from the maker to see if it finds anything. If it were me, I would narrow down the failing component before I bought parts.

Finally, to answer your question about adjustments for the PS. Most do not have such adjustment. Seeing your voltages within 10% of rated voltage is generally OK. Certainly having 5.16v for the 5v bus is not a problem.

Reply to
Ken

Have you added any software/hardware lately? It may not be playing nice with your display drivers. Check for an updated driver from the card/MB manufacture.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

ing

Bestec definitely isn't the best stuff around. I've replaced quite a few Bestecs (and entire PCs that were fried by them). The newer Bestecs are known for dying spectacularly. Not sure about the older ones. The voltage you measured for the +5v rail is fine.

As for your issue, do what Ken said and check the RAM first. I've seen several systems where the RAM was the issue, despite it acting like a power supply problem. Pull the RAM, blow out the sockets, and clean the contacts. Test it with a program like memtest86.

Also, when you say it reboots for no reason, is it just rebooting, or is it actually bluescreening and rebooting before you can see the error? Systems can crash and restart fast enough to hide the BSOD, especially if dumps are disabled. Check for a message in the event log. You can also disable the automatic restart (the setting is in System Properties, under "Startup and Recovery" on the Advanced tab).

Reply to
nvic

It's probably not the power supply.

Download the version of Ubuntu that can run off a CD, make a CD per their instructions, and boot off it. (Not to switch to Ubuntu, but just to see if it runs properly) if Ubuntu runs for a while with no problems, then your hardware is almost certainly not your problem.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Have never added anything to the CPU. Only thing relatively new is a super-multi R/W DVD drive. And it's probably five years old. Beginning to think that the problem is actually software related. Only happens when the screen saver is active. I still ordered a replacement power supply, just cause I've heard that Bestec ATX250's are known to occasionally have problems, and I would like to have a replacement on hand.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I would also suspect a bad power supply, but it might be useful to check the hardware first. Download and burn a CD with MEMTEST86+ or MEMTEST86 (they're NOT the same):

Boot the CD and let it run for several hours. If you get any errors, or any type, including hangs, you have something sick on the motherboard. If you get random errors, and you still suspect the PS, go find another PS and just hang it outboard from the case. Then, try memtest again and see if replacing the PS helps.

# 831-336-2558
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[...]

Am currently testing the RAM using memtest86. It's been running for a little over an hour with no errors at this point, and I may leave it running overnight (thanks for that clue about a good RAM test. Found it on CNET, and already love it.)

It does not appear to be bluescreeing or displaying an error. I was looking right at when it restarted one time, and thee was no delay. Looked like a power on reset to me, which is why I thought of the power supply. That, and the fact that once before the +5V went out on me.

I haven't yet pulled the RAM or cleaned the connectors, BTW. Wanted to test it as is first. Will let you know what it comes up with.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hey Isaac,

Will have to check that out. Thanks for the pointer. Did download a copy of Burn-in Test Stadard off of CNET, and will give that a try at some point. Thinking more and more that it's a software problem though.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Argh! The Bestec ATX250-12E was used in eMachines between about 2002 and 2004. Their track record was dismal.

The author of the first video claims that other model power supplies are OK, but that hasn't been my experience. I've lost one or two ATX250-12Z power supplies, which is what you probably have in your Compaq.

Could I trouble you to supply the full power supply part number instead of truncating it?

# 831-336-2558