Composite video from an older laptop?

I have an old Dell Lattitude D630 laptop. Is there a way to come out of the VGA jack on the back of my laptop and somehow end up with composite or S v ideo out? I tried an adapter that my son said he had used to do this in the past. It plugs into the RGB jack in the back and it has two short cables o ut of it. One has an RCA female jack on the end of it and the other has an S video female. I didn't try S but although I can get an image on my compos ite monitor you can see that there is more than one image and it's out of s ync. I tried adjusting the display settings and that seems to put the frequ ency way off. I used to have a video board on an old DOS computer that had an RCA jack on it and it was very handy. Is this still possible to do? I th ink that I read somewhere that anything ten ears older or less should be ab le to support this. I don't know how old my laptop is but i don't think tha t it's over ten years. Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

although I can get an image on my composite monitor you can see that there is more than one image and it's out of sync. I tried adjusting the display settings and that seems to put the frequency way off. I used to have a video board on an old DOS computer that had an RCA jack on it and it was very handy. Is this still possible to do? I think that I read somewhere that anything ten ears older or less should be able to support this. I don't know how old my laptop is but i don't think that it's over ten years. Thanks, Lenny

Ebay has lots of converters like that.

I have not tried them,but they don't cost much to try. Here is one for $ 10.

They are usually from $ 10 to $ 30.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The laptop has to supply sync-on-green for a simple adapter to work. Can you interrogate the video output mode, or change it, to make interlaced 60 Hz video with sync-on-green?

More flexible (expensive) adapters actually include frame buffers, and require a power supply.

Reply to
whit3rd

Used Extron scan converters show up on Ebay for reasonable prices. VGA to S-Video or composite are common models. There is a steady stream of older hardware being pulled out during upgrades to digital and mixed video systems.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Can you explain this? I must be getting old because I don't get it.

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
Pat

Over unity = Perpetual Motion = unending revenge. ;-)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[...]

I thought "perpetual motion" was a theoretical quantity, kind of like the s quare root of -1. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

Thanks. I either never knew or forgot the phrase "over unity". I did a quick Google search and found many references to it so clearly the problem is my memory (or lack thereof).

Reply to
Pat

Over unity means that you get back more effort, than you put in. ;-)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's no big deal. I love bad jokes, and I like to share them. :)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.