component tester

Anyone have experience with these cheap chinese component testers, resistor, transistor, esr, etc. Prices under $50. Caveats, what to look for ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I forget what ESR is and probably nothing I refer to below tests it. erythrocyte sedimentation rate -- definitely not. Electron spin resonance, -- no. Electro-slag remelting, -- no. Equivalent series resistance --- This is just resistance, isn't it, with capacitive and inductive impedance ignored? I take back what I said at the top, Doesnt' the cheapest ohmmeter test for ESR just like it tests for resistance?

I have a cheap chinese resistor tester, that I paid 3 (three) dollars for at Harbor Freight when it was on sale, which is at least half the time, and it works fine. It's a digital mulimeter with 20 possible settings, but nothing for testing batteries. Some have a lighted screen when the button is pushed but others don't.

I see it does have a place for testing PNP and NPN transistors, out of the circuit. Basic testing of a transistor is not that compllicated and I suppose it's wired correctly.

They sell fancier meters up to 30, maybe 40 dollars. I bought one for

25 or 30 which includes a temp probe, capacitance meaurement, a button to hold the reading if I can't see it when I'm measuring, autmatic turn off, etc.

Even Home Depot and Lowes have the 3 dollar meter, probably better than that, for 20 dollars, though I didn't look close enough to see if tests transistors.

I hate to steer business away from American manufacturers, but I actually don't know where Fluke and other good brands are made (in the US?) But in my case, I already have American made meters, and I have so litle use** for something to measure capacitance or temperature, that I would never buy a name brand model. **Reed that, I've had the meter for 5 years and never measured either.

Reply to
micky

That one tests at 100Khz IIRC and without removing from the circuit. The industry standard, I believe.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The main problem with the Chinese ones is you simply don't know what you're getting. The best of them are comparable to the ones made by Peak/ Atlas etc., - at least in design if nothing else - the rest are pretty much hopeless. But because there's no reliable branding and no reliable IP law in China to protect more reputable manufacturers, you can't tell what you're getting; if it's any good at all and how long it's going to last.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The one I bought from China over a year ago works fine. It was just the circuit board and I had to put it in a case. I have compaired the components it tested against some known value of components to verify them.

I bet if you open the Peak one it will have a lot of Tiwan or other such parts in it. There is some junk comming out of China,but some very good stuff also. Isn't lots of the Apple stuff from China ?

I have bought some volt meter boards from China and they are right on with my Fluke meter. These are not multimeters, but such things a a 3 digit circuit board that you have to put in a case. Even the one I use to monitor the 120 volt AC in my house is right on and has been working over a year.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The Peak will probably do the same thing. The way the software is written there are sometimes false indications. On some transistors that have lots of leakage it may depend on which lead is connected . If a transistor reads bad or the results are very much differant than what they should be, try changing the leads around.

What I say Peak is a ripoff is that the software that is written for the testers can have it all, but Peak makes two versiong so they can double the money.

Over the years I have seen many devices where the main circuit bord is the same and differant names put on them. My wife worked in a cotton mill at one time. They had some nice boxes they packaged towels in and sold for a high price. Put the same towels in a large stack without the box and they are less than half the price. My dad worked at a place that made brake shoes. They had several brand names put on them. Sometimes that if a big order came in they would sand off the name on some of them and put the name of the rush order comapny on them.

The whole deal is that you never know what you are getting when buying something.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

** About a year ago, I bought a couple of Chinese 3 digit, 30V blue LED panel meters with 3 wires.

Made a 6VDC supply from the 240V AC using a 470nF class X dropping cap and a couple of diodes etc to power the meter.

Using a string of resistors totalling 600kohms and a pair of Schottky diodes, I made a similar half wave rectified supply that produced 1V DC for each 10 volts of applied AC when feeding the panel meter input.

Squeezed the lot into my 30 year old Variac to replace the useless moving coil meter that came fitted. Oh, and I blacked out the decimal point.

Works like a charm and is within 1% or 1 volt of the reading on my Fluke.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I used to use a peak, was handy, but one day it bit the dust. For $15 lowest model, I don't think I'll go wrong. Be waiting for shipment.

Greg

Reply to
gregz