Component Identification Help Needed

Hi All:

I am in the process of repairing a GM automotive instrument cluster. This particular car has a vacuum flourescent display to indicate gear selection (PRNDL). This display is inoperational. Observed is a missing component. There is a section of the PCB where four seemingly identical components were set up. One literally fell off the PCB due to poor soldering. The other 3 were easily lifted off with light pressure from my thumb nail. My job now is to try and obtain a replacement component. My main problem is that I cannot positively identify the part I need. I suspect that it is a high grade resistor, but I have never seen one of these before. A picture is located at the URL below:

The part is about 1/4" long overall. It is a cylindrical shape with slightly larger ends than the overall diameter. It reminds me of a very tiny copy of a cartridge fuse used in household power centers. The center section is colored black. The ends are colored charcoal. There are two similar devices elsewhere on the PCB that are colored brown with bright silver ends. There are no readable markings at all on any of the components.

Two of the components I have measure 151.5 ohms. The third measures 121.6 ohms.

Can anybody offer any suggestion as to what this component is? Recommendations for a reasonably obtainable substitute part? I'll have to guess at the value of the missing part, but I need to konw what I'm looking for.

Regards, Bob bobkos_at_earthlink_dot_net

Reply to
Bob Kos

//

Bob,

Looks like a surface mounted resistor.

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

This

selection

component.

were

other 3

now

center

121.6

looking

Thanks for your reply. I have looked for a resistor like this but cannot find one. I am thinking that simply installing a standard axial lead 1/4 watt resistor might be an acceptable substitute?

Reply to
Bob Kos