Compact Fluorescent light bulbs burning out

I have a ceiling lamp/fan combo in which lightbulbs are constantly burning out. My dad was convinced it was in my head. I'd already tried regular bulbs and other fluorescent, I hadn't tracked it but they were dying far too frequently. This spring, on a bet with my dad, I swapped the 3 bulbs for brand new Compact Fluorescent lights.

6 months later, 2 of them are dead. One died 2 months or so ago. I left it in there because I was seeing if maybe having 3 bulbs was too much for the lamp. The other died today. This is the office, the light gets turned on and stays on, often for several hrs at a time, never just for a few minutes.

This lamp just kills lightbulbs. Not just CF bulbs, either, I'd even tried regular bulbs, they lasted even less time.

The only reason I could find as per google was a possible overvoltage. But I haven't had the problem on any of the other lights in my house, so it's not a "global" issue.

The big question is.. is it the lamp, or is it a electrical problem? I kinda like the lamp but obviously if its a problem, it's got to go.

Suggestions/tips welcomed! MB

Reply to
mblume1

More notes: It is a ceiling fan too but I don't use the fan. The room above is a guestroom. There is no vibration, flickering or anything else unusual.

Reply to
mblume1

Just a guess here: If the sockets show any discoloration or corrosion, they could be producing a poor connection to the bulb. That could produce heat at the connection point between the bulb and the socket, which could damage the bulb... Take all appropriate precautions while checking or cleaning the contact surfaces...

Reply to
none

Are the bulbs bare or are they in some kind of glass globe or envelope that could be causing them to heat up. There isn't much margin on the components they use in compact fluorescent lights, especially the off- brand ones, and when they are used upside down in ceiling fan fixtures, all the heat from the lamp and from the electronics is concentrated in the base of the bulb, and the glass surround doesn't allow for much airflow thru the tiny slots in the bases of the bulbs.

A good comparison would be to have two identical sets of 2 or 3 bulbs, one set in the standard/normal base-down operation, and the other set in an inverted position with something around them to keep in the heat. I'd bet a goodly sum of money the upside down lamps die at least 50% sooner than the ones where the heat can dissipate.

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

  1. Does the lamp or fan have a speed control or light dimmer? If so, is it trying to dim the CFL light?
  2. Cheap CFL lamps? I bought a box of 20ea 60 watt equivalent lamps. They work ok in the open air, with the tubes pointed upward. However, if inverted or in some cover that blocks airflow, they last about 2 weeks.
  3. Is there a decorative glass "shade" covering the CFL light? If so, it's a great way to block air flow and overheat the bulb. I have that problem also on my overhead fan. However, I solved it by removing the fan as it was giving visitors hair cuts due to the relatively low ceiling.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

**FWIW, I use a CF lamp in exactly that situation. It is a combo heat lamp, fan and regular lamp (XLTastic). I swapped out the standard mirror back incandescent for a 23 Watt Philips CF lamp. The fan hardly gets used and the heat lamp gets used infrequently. The CF lamp gets a lot of use. It has been operating very nicely for 22 months. I swap it out for a brand new 23 Watt Philips CF lamp, since I want to gauge the degradation in light output over time. So far, there is no appreciable fall in light output. It's a win-win for me. The CF lamp uses lots less power than the incandescent, delivers more useful light into the room and causes less heat. I will add, however, that several of the cheaper CF lamps I've used do not perform as well as the Philips ones, IME.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Note that he said normal lamps were burning out quickly. This is usually a bad connection problem since they aren't as sensitive to overheating.

But, also check the maximum rated wattage for each lamp in the fixture.

It's often much lower than you would like.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anyth> >I have a ceiling lamp/fan combo in which lightbulbs are constantly

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

What angle are the lamps at? Most filament types give their longest life when vertical. Horizontal next. 45 degrees worst of all. Some CLFs are sensitive too - but usually the larger ones which like to keep the heat from the lamp away from the ballast, which usually means vertical and base down.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For the most direct comparison, use a lamp socket to 2-prong converter in one of the fixture's sockets, then plug in a work light (with cage removed) and install a bulb base down in that socket (or run an extension to to a table lamp).

TM

Reply to
tonym924

Are you using decent quality bulbs? The quality of CFLs is all over the board, and incandescents are getting worse. Back when I was still using incandescents, I had some Feit bulbs that not one lasted more than a month.

Reply to
James Sweet

Funny you mention Feit. I have had their CFLs fail very quickly, but they always happikly sent a free replacement

Reply to
LouB

Fan? Lightbulbs? Vibration?

Humm, wonder if there is a relationship?

Try ruggedized (for high vibration applications) bulbs, they are available from most proper suppliers. (No, you won't find 'em at WalMart.)

Reply to
PeterD

Have you checked the voltage at the sockets. If you are close to the mains transformer outside or some other problems exist, you may be getting excessive voltage at the sockets. Motors typically do not do badly at +10% voltage (130+V), but lamps and ballasts typically do not.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I believe the OP said that he did not use the actual fan, only the lights....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert