Coffee Machine Repair (help req'd)

Got given this coffee machine. Aroma Coffee? 12 Digital (PC4700)

Fault:

When powering it on (digital panel) it turns straight off and the element never gets to heats up.

This digital panel I assume control the usage etc. But also controls the On/Off. The buttons themselves seem functional. I can hear a relay trip once when it turns it self off again.

I've pulled to bits to check for obvious problems. I'm thinking I'm looking at a round Thermistor (see below links) that attaches directly to the element and it appears wired to the mains voltage (230-240v here) on the power/relay board on the right side of the photo.

Would it be safe to assume this is a good chance of being the problem? I'm going to resolder that large resistor on the board in case its dried just in case.

The digital board I'll leave unless you think something warrants investigating. But its pretty much an IC and a LCD panel. The clock on it works find untill you press the on button and it drops power completely.

If it is the Thermistor how can I test it with a meter? I know enough to avoid a shock but not sure would it be open or closed or what. Need some help here.

Your ideas are welcome on this (cant wait to try the coffee).

Gutshot

Product Page

&pid=1413

Manual

Neid Koffe

On 25 Mar 2011 08:42:24 GMT, Neid Koffe put finger to keyboard and composed:

That's a thermal switch, not a thermistor. It should be closed.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Att: Frank

right

Thanks for the reply...

So that is normally closed at all times unless it hits the temp threshold? Even in a no power state?

How would it be acting if faulty?

Reply to
Neid Koffe

"Neid Koffe"

** Irrelevant - cos it is not the fault you have.

That device is only there as a last line of defence against the whole thing going up in flames.

BTW:

Love your handle.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thermistor attached to heating pad responsible 99% of the time from my experience in repairing my Cuisinart Grind -N-Brew not once but twice in

4 years..
--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

Attn: Neid Koffe,

Did you ever fix the fault on your sunbeam aroma 12 coffee machine?

I have the exact same issue. These aren't worth taking to a repair shop but if it was something simple i'll sort it myself...

Really appreciate an answer either way ;-)

Cheers

peter

Reply to
pjrcrawford