Coffe maker switch wiring

Hi..

I have a Black & Decker Smartbrew coffee maker with a broken switch. The switch has three leads (black, blue, red) one of which is for the light I assume and the other two for power.

I want to replace the switch with a simple two-wire one, but I cannot figure out which two of the three leads to use. Experimentation could blow something up. I've looked for a coffee maker circuit diagram which might give a clue, but have not found one.

Any recommendations, other than throwing it out? - (it works great).

Ken

Reply to
KarlB

Hi!

If the switch is still physically in one piece, take a look at the contact arrangement. The switched pair of wires are usually the furthest apart pair of contacts. There may also be a plastic "guide" or barrier that keeps the two wires that represent opposing sides of the AC line away from one another to prevent shorting.

If the switch is not in one piece or you haven't got it...take a look at the circuit. Chances are good that the circuit switches the heater on directly. You need to switch a wire coming in from the power supply and energize the heating element. The other wire you have left over will be connected to the other side of the line cord and can be ignored or used with another lighted switch.

In the worst case, the most you will blow is a fuse if you get it wrong.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi...

If I may I'd like to add one more caution to that, even though it may be obvious. (I'm the over-cautious old guy, I guess)

In the OP's original post, he left me with the impression that he's probably a bit of a beginner, so after he finishes up, make sure that the switch does indeed shut it off. If not, there's a risk in that a failure of the thermostat and thermal fuse would be a terrible fire hazard.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

And the study I seen - suggested they are truly fire hazards. Personally, "I" don't trust them and unplug mine when done brewing. So - the last statement was a very good one indeed.

Lou

Reply to
Radiosrfun

I did examine the switch and decided power would have flowed from the center connector and the outside connector...it had to be the blue and red wire across the switch. Black and red would have been a direct short of A/C, and black and blue would and connected both ends of the heater together.

I probably should have examined the problem a little closer before asking for help. The coffee maker is working now.

Thanks, all.

Reply to
KarlB