Code entry door-lock problem

Internal security door, battery powered, changing battery made no
difference, maker unknown.
For some people would work normally and others would repeat 30 or 40
times and still no delatching, so invalidly locked out.
Normal proceedure is enter 4 digit code , blue light, turn handle and
enter. If red back-light to the keypad then wrong number entered.
What might be the problem, each of 30 attempts session say, blue light
each time and a slight click of a relay or maybe a solenoid , but no
mechanical delatching. Never a buzz sound of say a current limited bad
contact to the solenoid , not fully energised coil and oscillation
effect. Of course try holding the handle down, not holding handle,
forcing handle up/down.sideways, pulling/pushing door makes no difference.

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
<http://diverse.4mg.com/scicaf.htm

Re: Code entry door-lock problem
I would first confirm that the solenoid was working properly by
seperately powering it.

Re: Code entry door-lock problem

Unfortunately its not mine, its inside a venue I hire, but I'm one of
the people it refuses to work with.
The management have brought in the company who supplied it and they
"changed the lock" whatever that means, but the same problem.
I suspect a mechanical misalignment problem due to someone being
locked-out, validlt or invalidly, and very forcibly straining the
door/lock as their seems more of a gap at closure of the door , to the
frame, than I'd expect for a door.

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
<http://diverse.4mg.com/scicaf.htm

Re: Code entry door-lock problem

Dodgy keypad? Intermittent connection?

The matrix returns an incorrect digit used in some folks 4-digit codes?

--
Adrian C

Re: Code entry door-lock problem
It has been my historical experience, having maintained a few hundred of these devices over time, is that moment such a thing starts to go funny, replace it entirely.

Batteries *must* be replaced quarterly - sure, the literature 'suggests' annually, but a low battery will play merry hell with the internal programming, however the manufacturer might suggest otherwise.

Given that in my applications, lives, quite literally, depended on the reliable operation of these locks, I took no chances.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Code entry door-lock problem

A bit more info the keypad/electronics part is by
codelocks.com
fitted to Union Locks traditional door furniture including physical key
to override the electronics, for if the battery dies, (or erroneous lock
out of course).
The "company" has returned 3 or 4 times now, but whatever they change,
the intermittent functioning returns after they have left.
Intermittent in the sense of reliable functioning for numerous days and
people and then a continuous batch of failure as I said 30 or 40 times,
and return to normal function the next day/s.

If a keypad matrix problem then the red light should come on presumably.

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
<http://diverse.4mg.com/scicaf.htm

Re: Code entry door-lock problem
The cost  of those return visits has well-exceeded the cost of replacing th
e lock outright. Unless there is some level of local interference (not comm
on, but I have seen this a time-or-four), that lock should have been replac
ed and should be operating flawlessly.

Now, on a couple of occasions, a local machine in operation stepped all ove
r the locks nearby. One being an open MRI machine, the other being a defect
ive hyfrecator. Both cases were solved with by installing shielded locks (a
nd the hyfrecator was also replaced, of course). Do you have any unusual eq
uipment within about 20' of that lock, especially something that is intermi
ttent in use?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Code entry door-lock problem

Interesting , I could see electronics connected to metalwork set in a
wooden door, being susceptible to electronic smog, but only the decoding
side of things or all , not just the power side of the delatching.
But over much the same time as this problem, they installed a unit that
uses the LoRaWAN structure , <>850MHZ. It has enough power for city-wide
data capture but limited to a short data-squirt  ,probably less than
10KB, every 15 minutes, unlikely to affect this codelock over 30/40
attempts I'd have thought, but it would explain the intermittency. Also
the RF from its external antenna and external generation, has to pass
through an external wall and 1 or 2 internal walls to get to this door.
Whether there is insufficient/lack of choking on the DC supply wiring to
this unit and large amount of RF being propogated over the mains wiring
of the building 4 times an hour , unknown.

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
<http://diverse.4mg.com/scicaf.htm

Re: Code entry door-lock problem
All it takes is one component within the lock to be sensitive to the interference - and to be "stunned" for some period after the initial hit to explain your 30/40 attempts.

Otherwise, the gremlins have it in for you, personally.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Site Timeline