cleaning video drum

I got a VCR that was in a house fire, and it's video drum has smoke damage.

It doesn't feel smooth, but isn't rough enough to where it seems to be damaging tapes. Matter of fact, it records and plays just fine.

But I want to clean the drum. How can I clean it?

Here is the condition of the drum:

blackevilweredragon

WOLF SLAYER

It's been a long time since I've worked on a VCR, but I use strips of clean white paper dipped in alcohol. Press firmly against the drum and rotate, being careful to hold the paper still so you don't break the head chips. Repeat with new paper until they quit getting dirty.

Reply to
James Sweet

AACK. Everything I have ever read, warns against attempting to clean a VCR drum or heads with cotton (*especially* not Q-tips!). There's far too much chance of snagging the (fragile) head subassemblies with the cotton, or leaving a few fibers in the space around the heads. A displaced, ripped-out, or otherwise destroyed head and thus a ruined drum are all too likely.

The procedure I have seen recommended, and have used successfully, is to use electronics-grade isopropyl alcohol, and either a flat-head chamois-tipped swab, or a non-woven electronic cleaning pad such as a Chempad (these are presaturated with isopropyl). Hold the alcohol-dampened swab or pad flat against the side of the drum, with

*gentle* pressure, and use one finger of your other hand to *slowly* rotate the drum in its normal direction of rotation. Rotate it three or four times, stop, remove the pad or swab, switch to the clean side of the pad or swap (re-moisten if necessary) and repeat. Do this with fresh swabs or pads until you get no further residue from the drum or heads.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AE6EO

I've tried to clean it, but nothing is coming off.. Not even the slightest bit.

It's as if it's caked on there pretty good.,

Reply to
blackevilweredragon

I've tried to clean it, but nothing is coming off.. Not even the slightest bit.

It's as if it's caked on there pretty good.,

reply:

I've found kitchen oven-cleaner very effective at removing heavy tobacco smoke staining from parts. Go sparingly, squirt onto copier-paper, and then use that on a test area first, below the tape path and don't use near the tape-heads as it may be too corrosive on the winding enamel etc, no need as by your account not affected there anyway. Remove any remainder with some meths or alcohol, again soaked into paper. No cotton buds/balls at any stage, chamois is ok.

N_Cook

On Apr 14, 9:49=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

If Xylene won't take it off, it doesn't need to come off. Xylene was the official recommended head cleaner of Ampex on their commercial VTRs. Texwipes or the chamois swabs do well. Ampex specifically warned of alcohol as it leaves a "persistent film". I tought it was silly until I cleaned a machine with Xylene and saw to power to spin the drum drop by a factor of 10. Now I'm convinced.

GG

Reply to
stratus46