Cleaning circuit boards (Smoke Machine Fluid)

I'm doing scheduled maintenance on a number of PA system amplifiers located in a night club.

Normally these machines get a clean with compressed air and optional paintbrush for stubborn fur balls.

Some clubs use smoke machines and this oily fluid frequently finds its way in to equipment.

Is my best cleaning strategy for cleaning amps affected by this problem to liberally wash the PCB with isopropanol and let them dry?

Removing the boards would have to be the only way I suppose as in-situ cleaning, aside from creating problems with excess solvent, means the underside of the board doesn't get done.

Optionally I can use methylated spirits (denatured ethanol) as a cleaning solvent which is MUCH cheaper than isopropanol here although probably not as effective in terms of removing oily residues.

Any feedback appreciated!

Cheers, Anton.

Reply to
Antony N. Lord

FWIW, I believe the chemical is (ethylene) glycol mixed with water. In the US they are called fog machines.

Homer J Simpson

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:51:17 +0800, Antony N. Lord Has Frothed:

I would use flux stripper.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

See how it works. i would think water or water/alcohol would be best.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Short of using some dedicated flux remover or PC board cleaner in a can, here is one thing you can try: WD40. SPray on WD40 and scrub with a small paint brush, tooth brush or Q-tips. I had a old pioneer board last week i tried with alcohol and such and it would not come clean or would leave deposits on the board. The WD40 seemed to do the trick.

I have also tried small portable steamers with limited success.

Bob

Bob Urz

I've had pretty good luck with Simple Green and a scrub brush (tooth brush for hard to reach spots).

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

There's a particular commercial board that I repair in large quantities, which gets very dirty with food residues, in some cases. It is all conventional leaded and surface mount R's, C's and semis. Has a few pin-type, and box header type connectors. No enclosed items. No coils. I wash these with hot water and normal washing up detergent. I squib some detergent on first, then flick on some hot water from a running tap ( faucet ), using a nylon-bristled long-handled dishwashing brush. The detergent can then be worked up into a lather with the brush, and the board given a good scrub, both sides. It is then thoroughly rinsed under the running hot water, then firmly shaken to remove the bulk of the water, and finally placed on end in front of a fairly powerful fan. It is totally dry inside a couple of minutes, and looks like new. Have never had any issues with any kind of short or long-term problems, following carrying out this cleaning.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:vMqbh.516$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net:

I've run circuit boards through my automatic dishwasher using Calgonite(no rinse agent),but I prefer a drying oven (not >150 degF) with a slight negative pressure inside to draw out moisture.This was particularly good for hi-Z DMM boards,often solving leakage problems.

At TEK-Indy and Orlando,we used a sprayed Kelite solution(commercial degreaser),water rinse,and into the drying oven for 3 days minimum,but that was for whole instruments.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I like to use Naptha, it seems to leave components untouched, but dissolves most residues from circuit boards.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

The message from Jim Yanik contains these words:

Re WD40 Have you ever tried to resolder joints after contact with this product?

I find one of the foaming cleaners sold for car upholstery the remedy that suits me.

--
Jocelyn
jgoodey@zetnet.co.uk

I second this. Works great for oily goop, not so great for water based goop.

Reply to
boardjunkie