Chip Maxim

Hi all

For solder this chip, Maxim 1987, on to laptop Hp Compaq NC series, is a square of 6 mm side, 12 pin side, think that you succeed with a soldering iron with fine tip, or it could go one better hotgun?

The lead free? or not, must be many mm? and paste flux soldering?

Which approach do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Regards

SD

Thanks

Recommend some soldering technique?

Regards

Reply to
SD

Plenty of help on Youtube :

JC

Reply to
Archon

I'd suggest trying your technique on scrap boards first, old hard drives are a useful source. JC

Reply to
Archon

This same IC was asked about, here on SER, not long ago.. probably for the same application, as there were lots of search results wrt flexing boards making this IC's connections open.

The package of this IC is 40-pin? Thin QFN 6mmx6mm.. there are no leads on this IC package, click image for a larger picture:

Hot air reflow would be a good approach, but tinning the IC pads and the board pads with leaded solder, then placing/holding the IC in position, should allow someone who's fairly well skilled at soldering to reflow the connections with a low-to-medium heat soldering iron equipped with a fine tip.

Trying to apply/add solder to the individual pads with the IC in place could easily cause shorts/bridges between the contacts, which could require removal of the IC to remove the excess solder.

If the board pads have enough lead solder applied to them, just applying some liquid flux, then positioning the IC and touching the contacts with a fine tip of a soldering iron would likely be a reasonable method of reflowing the connections.

For small components and/or fine pitch ICs, I avoid adding solder with the part in position since it's too easy to apply too much solder.. instead, I try to make sure that the board contacts have enough solder, and after applying liquid flux, it's easier to just reflow the contacts.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

The bga solder balls? can be solder with solder iron?

Recommend me some type of solder balls for this chip Maxim.

Thanks

Regards

Reply to
SD

Where did you buy the chip you are trying to install?? I have a board that needs the chip replaced, and I might try it if I could get a chip.

Reply to
Ken

My guess is that the board manufacturer uses paste to hold the IC in place, then heats the board. Search "QFN stencil" and "QFN soldering".

No balls should be needed.. the IC is not BGA, it's QFN.

Hot air would most likely be ideal, but a soldering iron and skill could suffice. This type of repair is best accomplished by someone with skill and experience in SMT repairs.

This is why I recommend liquid flux if enough solder is already in place.. then just touch the contacts and pads, moving around the IC (without trying to add solder).

If the IC has been removed, I would apply a minimal amount of lead solder to the board pads, then with the IC in position (and liquid flux applied), carefully heat the contacts and pads.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

maybe this chip is not the same as that of my laptop I do not know if my laptop or yours could be OK.

Another question. The difference between this

and this,

what is?

Thanks

Regards