Chemical vs standard glass fuses

I have an Audiovox flat panel in the shop for repair. There is an open 7,0 amp chemical fuse on the power supply board which I am told may be the extent of the problem on this model. Of course it could also be the tip of the iceberg for sure. I won't know until I replace it. The problem is I have no chemical fuses, only glass. Can it do any harm to replace the 7.0 amp chemical fuse with a 7.0 amp AGC type? Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"klem kedidelhopper"

** You mean a Polyswitch - right ?

( Polyswitch = a self re-setting, polymer based PTC device )

The term "chemical fuse" is a real stinker and vary rarely used by anyone.

** Not likely.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

one.

I was under the impression that a polyswitch was a self resettable device, sort of like a circuit breaker.Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"klem kedidelhopper" "Phil Allison"

I was under the impression that a polyswitch was a self resettable device, sort of like a circuit breaker.

** Did you bother to read what I wrote above ?

Are you asking about a Polyswitch or not ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Chemical fuses like the 'Belfuse' series are coated with a chemical that burns when the fuse wire reaches a set temperature. They are very fast blow and a special class of fuse. I wouldn't recommend using a standard fuse, since you can cause major damage in the equipment before it blows.

What type of power supply are you working with in that unit? If it's a linear supply, can you substitute a variable voltage, and current limited power supply for testing?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

it's

Its a SMPS with several different outputs. There is a feed back circuit I believe that would make it risky to try to sub in a supply. Thank you Michael for the information you provided. Sorry Phil that I blew right past your response however I guess I'd have to wonder if YOU read what I wrote. I thought that I was clearly asking about a Chemical or "pico" type fuse, not a polyswitch. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"klem kedidelhopper"

Sorry Phil that I blew right past your response however I guess I'd have to wonder if YOU read what I wrote. I thought that I was clearly asking about a Chemical or "pico" type fuse, not a polyswitch.

** Where did you get the name " chemical fuse " from ?

Did you invent it ?

A "Pico" fuse is simply a wire fuse in a package like a resistor.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You can certainly use a more standard fuse for a quick check.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias