Charging laptop battery

I have a gateway laptop and the battery will not charge. There are several contacts on it and its rated at 11.1 volts. Any ideas how to manually charge it I would assume that its a 6 cell battery because there are 7 contacts one is a bigger size then the others I would assume that is the neg contact. Any idea on each of those contacts are there suppose to be 11.1 volts or does the laptop take each cell and wire them in series to get 11.1 Thanks Rick

Reply to
trickyrick

What good will that do, the battery is dead, not function, knackered, TFU, gone, passed away...

What kind of insane logic dictates that?

Wow, please be sure your insurance is fully paid up before going any further!

Go to eBay and buy a new battery.

Reply to
PeterD

What is the model number of the laptop? What is the model number written on the cell?

What's the chemistry and mAh rating written on the battery? - Lithium ion (Li-ion) or Nickel Metal Hydride? (NiMH)

With all that, the OEM replacement can be found - or if NiMH equivalent cells, found to replace those inside. eBay.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

The laptop supplies 11.1 volts carefully controled by the internal charging circuit. It is a smart battery that can't be charged outside the computer because it has a microprocessor controlled charging circuit built in that talks to your computer in order to keep the battery from either overheating or over charging.

It will not allow you to charge it without the control system in the computer. It's likely that your battery has bad cells or blown protection fuses internally that are preventing the circuit from allowing it to charge.

It is very difficult to disassemble the battery case without damaging anything inside and possibly causing a fire. These batteries will combust if shorted.

Gnack

Reply to
Gnack Nol

PeterD I would not have asked the question if the battery is dead. I have something wrong with my laptop. I have a friend with the same battery and have had them charge the battery for me by placing it in the laptop over night. Im not paying anything to fix the laptop it would probably be more than its worth. About the contacts or cells on the battery you seem to be very sarcastic. You tell me what the contacts are for. I am under the assumption that when buying a laptop battery you can buy a 6 cell or 8 cell battery. So again please explain to me what the 7 contacts are for on the battery Thanks

Reply to
trickyrick

Thanks Gnack PeterD has it wrong the battery is not dead I can charge it on a friends laptop (same model) so Im assuming that something is wrong with my laptop it will only work on AC or the battery if I have it charged. It would probably be to expensive to have the laptop repaired so I was just wondering if I could charge is externally. Thanks

Reply to
trickyrick

extra text deleted.

Likely the laptop's charging circuit is in trouble but there is one thing I can suggest that may help you. If you look at the contact set in the computer and see any discoloration on the gold pins try cleaning them gently and preferably with a cotton swab soaked on 95% alcohol. That may get the battery and charger talking again.

Gnack

Reply to
Gnack Nol

Nothing beats leaving out significant information in your original post, is there?

Some of the contacts are used to communicate with the battery. Others are used for power.

Reply to
PeterD

Is the original adaptor being used, or is the power adaptor you are using actually faulty? Try the one belonging to your friend on your laptop.

I don't know your laptop model, but some laptop manufacturers (namely Dell) are selling them with specific power supplies that ID themselves to the the machine before allowing charging. Sometimes the ID pin on the PSU connector or the equivalent on the laptop fails to connect / breaks.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

You can get standalone chargers for some laptop batteries, but your cheapest solution is probably to buy a "spares or repairs" dead laptop which takes the same battery and hope its charger circuit still works even if the laptop won't boot. Machines with faults like smashed screen or lost password go quite cheaply on eBay.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

In message , Adrian C writes

Sometimes there is no ID pin, they signal the charger serial number, capacity etc. over the power rail.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to