Changing the frequency on Baby Monitor

Changing Frequency of baby monitor.

I operate a sanctuary for abused horses. There are 2 barns on my property. One is the "hospital" for horses that are seriously ill. The other is for those who are relatively healthy but need to be indoors. There are times when I need to monitor the barn or one particular horse. When weather is bad, I cant keep going to the barn every hour or so, and I cant "camp" in the barn. While a video system seemed like the solution, I found the cost prohibitive. Instead I picked up two used Baby Monitors and placed the transmitters in each barn, and tuned in my police monitor to receive them.

This works fairly well, and I can listen to the horses. Their sounds do tell me what is going on most of the time. However there's one problem. Both transmitters are on the same frequency. This means that I have to go to the barn I want to listen to, and plug in the transmitter, and then unplug the other one. Thi rather defeats the purpose. Each needs to be on a different frequency.

I have some electronics background as a hobbiest, but I am not all that familiar with these baby monitors.

George

Is there a way to change the frequency on one transmitter?

Reply to
ghorseresq

How far away from the barns - is your house?

How did you plan to do the "Video"? Why was it prohibitive? Could you get away with placing "a" camera - high in a corner overlooking all? IF so, though I'm not sure of quality, there are some systems out there for less than $100. And, they're wireless to boot.

What makes/models are the Baby Monitors? That might help those of us familiar to give more accurate information on whether you can and/or how to proceed.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Come on. If this was a repair issue, or he asked where the question belongs, it really has nothing to do with the model. UNless the thing is multichannel to begin with (and then why would he ask about changing the frequency), there's going to be one obvious component that when changed will change the frequency of the monitor. Of course, one also has to change the same component in the receiver, though its specs will not be identical to the one in the transmitter. It likely will entail having that component custom made, unless the manufacturer can be tracked down and they actually supply the units on different frequencies and will offer up the needed two components to make that change.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

"It likely will entail having that component custom made, unless the manufacturer can be tracked down and they actually supply the units on different frequencies and will offer up the needed two components to make that change."

Michael

Well, there ya go............. there "is" that possibilty that the model in question may in fact - "not" be able to be modified so easily. I mean - who will go through all that hassle? It doesn't appear to me, that the OP wants to go through all "that". Most companies today - you're lucky to get ANY tech support.

On the other hand, he might be able to swap out crystals, but now days - even they aren't that cheap. I've been pricing them myself. You can get them for $10 a shot, but need a minimum order. OR otherwise you pay close to $20 each plus shipping.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

It's been a while since I've had to pay any attention to "Baby Monitors" - but I am willing to bet - there are other models out there than what he has - which will be on a different frequency. Maybe someone could relate to that issue.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

If the barn is on the same electrical circuit as your house (same pole transformer supplying both), you probably could use an X10 controller to switch the power on/off for the cams via an applyance module such that only you are interested is on. X10 actually makes a 4 cam setup to do this, but the range is probably short. Depending on your setup, there are probably other easy setups.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Places like

and others have pretty cheap video setups. Watch for a sale.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson