CFL on photo on/off?

What is the problem with operating a CFL on a dusk to dawn device that uses a photo sensor? Does it suffer the same fate as running the CFL on a dimmer that is full on? That's my guess. My motion sensor security light has an option to turn the lamps on manually and shut them off in the morning automatically when it's light enough out. But it has a relay that makes an aduible click. I would assume a simple light sensing fixture is switched with a triac and this causes a pulsedvoltage that harms the CFL ballast.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The problem is that these photosensitive devices draw their power through the lamp, so there's a trickle of current flowing even when it's supposed to be off. With an incandecent lamp, this doesn't matter. But with a CFL, if you're lucky, the result is the lamp flashing on momentarily like a strobe periodically but no damage to it. :)

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Makes sense, thanks Sam.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I hedge my bets: In a 2 lamp device I use 1 incandecent and 1 CFL. :-)

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

Good solution! The only concern would be if the photosensor device doesn't switch (mostly) on or off cleanly.

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Hi!

I'm glad someone brought this up, because there is something I'd like to know.

I've got an outdoor porch light on a post that has a 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb in it. The fixture itself is made of cheap plastic, and the light is on fairly often, so I feel better using the CFL as opposed to a 100 watt incandescent. (However, I haven't noticed a maximum wattage rating on the fixture itself.)

I'd like to switch this light via photocell.

To prevent any possible "abuse" to the CFL, I'd like to have the photocell device turn a relay on and off. Is it possible to do that, or would it result in unacceptable behavor (buzzing, etc) from the relay?

If it won't work, I could always use a timer of some sort.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

On 3/12/2010 7:02 AM William R. Walsh spake thus:

Keep in mind that CFLs are often not good candidates for this kind of application, because the length of time they take to warm up is often the same as the length of time they're on, so they don't do a very good job of lighting up the area you want illuminated. For an intermittent application like this, it's probably just as cost-effective overall just to use a good old-fashioned incandescent lamp.

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

But it would be ok for a dusk to dawn security light?

Reply to
Meat Plow

On 3/12/2010 10:52 AM Meat Plow spake thus:

Yup, that would be a good place for a CFL. (Assuming it plays nicely with the controller, that is.)

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

They sell dusk to dawn security lights made for CFL. My dad installed one with a 65 Watt CFL he bought at Lowe's or Home Depot for his place. It was several years ago and he doesn't remember, for sure. He also bought a smaller one, to light the sidewalk to his driveway.

Michael A. Terrell

You shouldn't have any problems running a relay with a photo-cell.

Reply to
[SMF]

Most photodensors use a relay. No different from a switch.

greg

Reply to
GregS

That said, I don't remember if there was a warning, but I can hear a click on mine. I used to keep it on, and would last a year or more. I'll see how long it lasts not with a sensor, along with two led spotlights.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I'm not sure I'd bother. For example, we have a bathroom with no windows in the middle of a dark hallway. I just out in a CFL and leave it on.

Lights up the room, lights up the hallway.

At what I pay for electricity it costs under $9 a year, which is less than the cost of a light operated switch or timer, and probably less current than a timer anyway.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or

Even the kind that screw into a light fixture?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Outside Lamp post for my mom. She says traditional bulbs don't last long enough and there is no way to enable it in an always on mode. Besides she is too frugal to want to let it operate 24/7. She's the kind of person who washes out tin foil and reuses it :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

There are standard bulbs made for use in these places. They are made with thicker filaments so they last much longer. Another trick is to use a 240 volt bulb, they run at much lower intensity (and are that much less efficent) but they supposedly last "forever".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Many neighborhoods are too dark at night. My old neighborhood in the 60's, My mother complained about no street lights. Realitor said there is enough light from the neighbors outside lights, and it was true. Every fourth house also had a gas lantern. That neighborhood is now too dark. If those people started using CFL's they could afford to keep them on.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I also like to complain about light that shines in my eyes. Much of the light from lights goes up into the air where its useless, and also into my eyes.

greg

Reply to
GregS

While not being efficient I much prefer the warm whites, but they can be more efficient seeing in foggy conditions.

I once built a lantern with a variable light control. A resistor. Shining the light at full brightness into Lake Erie showed nothing. getting it nice and dim, you could see right through the water.

greg

Reply to
GregS