Cell phone signal booster

Has anyone used a cell phone signal booster, and would like to share their experience?

The one i'm considering can be seen at

Albert Hodge

Their experience in jail, you mean? Or their experience working to pay the hefty fine they got?

Reply to
Rob

eir experience?

We're out in the sticks in a town that is itself in the sticks, so our cell reception is sketchy at best. My son installed an "M-Cell" which is sold b y AT&T and connects to our cable wifi. Works great anywhere inside the hou se, not so much outside though. Without the M-Cell, we'd have to go on the front porch to use the cells.

Reply to
John-Del

eir experience?

What laws would be broken if one used a repeater? AFAIK, it is not illegal to use a signal booster/repeater. IIRC, they need to be registered with th e cell phone company and the devices need to be FCC certified. I doubt the stuff from China is certified. The OP should probably check into this.

I have no user experience with any of the repeaters.

According to the ATT website, they no longer sell the M-cell repeaters. In stead, they suggest enabling 'wifi calling' on the cell and configure the a tt internet service to accommodate wifi calling.

Reply to
jjhudak4

The laws to operate any transmitter without the appropriate license or certified to be operated without a license.

That is the problem. And the phone company will probably not register your repeater.

M-cell are not repeaters but microcells (although such things for consumer use are usually called picocells). That is an entirely different beast. It is like a WiFi access point running the protocol for mobile phones, allowing you to make a call over internet using your mobile phone. It does not amplify a cell tower signal but it uses your internet line.

Reply to
Rob

Cell phone reception in our warehouse is likewise compromised even though there is an antenna farm within 1 click. Metal framing, metal roof...annoying for our customers (film industry, etc.) who have to go outside to call someone. I've looked into it but in Canada it would cost around $800CAD for the repeater then someone has to install it on the roof...

Wi-Fi enabling would mean that every customer who comes in would need to join our wi-fi network compromising security. I shall see if our provider will do a free hot spot here - that might work...

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

There must be some way to provide security on the wifi network for you. Many places seem to . They have privite and public networks in the same place.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Passive repeater. Put a panel antenna on the roof attached by co-ax to a radiating element underneath the tin.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Be sure you do the math beforehand.

Reply to
tom

This actually works. You wouldn't think so, but it does. Of course only when there is good signal where you place the outside antenna and poor signal inside, but that can be the case in such metal-can buildings.

Reply to
Rob

Problem is I don't own the building so need landlords permission to drill holes...plus the roof is higher than my extension ladder...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

My outside reception is sometimes good, sometimes bad, depending if you stand in the right place, or walk around.

In the house, I can hang the phone in a window where it gets two bars, then create a wireless hot spot, and use another phone and tablet connected to the hotspot, using VOIP apps to make calls. It works pretty good but I'd like better reception in the house for the cellular network.

I've never heard or read anything about needing a permit or license to operate a booster.

There is only cell phone internet here so that m cell wouldn't work for my setup. There are some good deals on used ones on ebay.

Reply to
Albert Hodge

That doesn't really matter, does it? At least over here, "everyone is supposed to know the law", i.e. when doing something against the law you cannot use the defense "I've never heard or read about that not being allowed".

Such a device needs cooperation from the provider. Before you buy one, first make sure that the provider still allows you to register it on their network and use it.

The reason those devices are not very popular is that you have to furnish your own internet connection, then you can make calls via the picocell using your own bandwidth, but you still pay the normal call tariffs on your mobile calls. So in fact you are paying twice, or at least you are paying to mobile provider to make calls over your own network.

That does not land very well, usually.

Reply to
Rob

It's not that simple. In the US, the FCC must "type accept" things that transmit to make sure they use the correct frequencies and do not interfere with other services. If a device is type accepted for unlicensed use, the end user does not need a license. Routers with wi-fi fall into this category. However, lots of chinese stuff sold over the Internet skipped the approval step. They may or may not use the proper frequencies and may or may not interfere with legal devices. Some even cheat and place a sticker claiming FCC approval. Buyer beware.

Reply to
Pat

Very true with Amazon and eBay 'products'. Brick and mortar businesses are much less likely to sell you junk that interferes or is potentially dangerous...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to