CD player Repair

My Rotel RCD-02 (which is similar to the RCD 961 / RCD971 in europe) is no longer playing compact dics.

Unfortunately this may be due to my own fault as the unit was left switched on and placed on top of my Marantz class A amp which gets extremely hot. I am wondering if the extending periods of heat have caused premature failure of the laser diode. The unit is two years old and hasn't been used that much.

Symtoms:

Sled will travel smoothly to read TOC, CD player detects CD, spindle speeds up, but display remains "00". I tried removing the spindle clamp and looking for visible signs of life in the laser diode by using an IR sensitive CCD camera on my mobile phone, there is a bluish glow coming from the lens in a grill like pattern. However I am unsure whether the CD is actually being read. I did notice though that the CD player managed to play the first track of a single CD which only has 3 tracks present about 3 weeks ago, since then and before though it has been broken.

The optical pickup is a Sony KSS-213C.

I have tested the ribbon cable for broken connections between the PCB and the optical block, this is fine.

I would appreciate your help and experience, as I have not had problems with CD players before. I am tempted to order another optical block KSS-213C but am not sure if this will resolve the problem.

Reply to
subseb

[...]

Sled will travel smoothly to read TOC, CD player detects CD, spindle speeds up, but display remains "00". If no cd is present then the player displays "no disc" after trying to spin the spindle. I tried removing the spindle clamp and looking for visible signs of life in the laser diode by using an IR sensitive CCD camera on my mobile phone, there is a bluish glow coming from the lens in a grill like pattern. However I am unsure whether the CD is actually being read. I did notice though that the CD player managed to play the first track of a single CD which only has 3 tracks present about 3 weeks ago, since then and before though it has been broken.

The optical pickup is a Sony KSS-213C.

I have tested the ribbon cable for broken connections between the PCB and the optical block, this is fine.

I would appreciate your help and experience, as I have not had problems with CD players before. I am tempted to order another optical block KSS-213C but am not sure if this will resolve the problem.

Reply to
subseb

If it wasn't playing most of the time, the heat probably had little effect.

Have you cleaned the lens?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

First thing to suspect when a switched off appliance has been subjected to heat and no longer works- dried out electrolytic capacitors. Most other components won't care about being heated, within moderation.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D