Cause of 'whooshing' sound

I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound. The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Bennett

I'd put an oscilloscope on the power supply.

Reply to
mike

Some times a zorc circuit is placed at the output to halt possible oscillation that can take place.

This usually consist of a capacitor and R in series.. optimized to react at higher frequencies to maintain a lower lever of output Z.

Some amp circuits will go into oscillation with out this circuit and you can hear all kinds of effects.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

low voltages side of the power supply , initially anyway.

I would suspect a grounding/earthing problem . If it is present most of the time , locally heat or cool different areas to see if the character of the noise changes. IS this a "sound bar" DSP type of amp for throwing stereo from one speaker box, then a DSP failure?

Reply to
N_Cook

I assume the problem is present with proper inputs connected. What nearby RF sources are there , wifi, bluetooth, other kit with SMPSs etc. Does moving any of those sources relative to the amp change the noise character. Or try the amp in another room as a diagnostic approach

Reply to
N_Cook

Thanks to all who've replied. This isn't a DSP and/or soundbar device and definitely is not picking up RF from elsewhere. The 'whoosh' is present with or without input cables connected.

Reply to
Bennett

Assuming its safe to short an input to ground , is the defect still present then?

Reply to
N_Cook

Yes

Reply to