Captain Stupid strikes again...

I've been selecting parts to upgrade a pair of Advents. In the process, I discovered I didn't know the difference between ON-NONE-ON and ON-OFF-ON.

Duh...

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

How about on-on-on .

What does It use ?

I have a tendency to want to eliminate any controls, especially pots, yuk.

After assembling, then dissembling cabinets many times while testing values, I started to mount the crossover on the outside for one of a kind speakers !

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That would be a DP3T.

DPDT, ON-OFF-ON.

It has no pots. The switch controls the tweeter level.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck"

** The use of "none" in the descriptions of toggle switches seems to be a new thing.

Google tells me that several makers are doing it but not when it was they conspired to do so.

My Farnell catalogue (about 2 years old) has no such "none" sense in it.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

2 states v 3 states, no?
Reply to
dave

I discovered my seeming ignorance when I read a catalog page that treated all double-throw switches as if they had /three/ positions. Those /without/ a center position received the NONE description.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

No. Two positions versus three positions for a double-throw toggle.

NONE is for a two-position switch, OFF is for a "double-throw" switch with a center position in which nothing is connected.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Huh? Assuming a 3 position switch, and that it is impossible to have a make before break feature in a 3 position switch, the two designations are identical. What am I missing here?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You're missing the fact that ON-NONE-ON is a two-position switch. When I read the spec sheet, and saw that ON-NONE-ON was two-position, and ON-OFF-ON was three-position, for the same switch series, the light finally went on.

I can refer you to spec sheets, if you like.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Jeff Liebermann forklarede:

Why would that be impossible? If the switch have 1 input and 3 outputs.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

If anyone is still confused, look at page 2 of this document.

William Sommerwerck

ON - None - ON simply means the DPDT switch only has TWO positions - ON & ON with no center spot (OFF). Consider it ON (A circuit) and ON (B circuit) relative to the commons.

Think of a 3-Way switch as used in house wiring - but with an extra pole

- then it is obvious.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Have any of you ever run across what looks like a double pole double throw that is actually a one pole three position?

1 T 2T T T T T l /l /l / l / l / l / 3 T/ 4T T/ l T/ T l l l l l l 5T 6T T T T T fig 1 fig 2 fig 3

In all figures the hash marks between 3T and 2T represent an outside shorting connection. The small case l's represent the "wiper" positions. If you take 4T as the output and 1T,5T and 6T as inputs[or vise versa]. The Sw becomes a 1 pole 3 pos sw.

CP

Reply to
Pilgrim

Sigh. Got it. All the desktop publishing computer jocky that created the data sheet could have done was to put a big "X" in place of the "NONE", or possibly left the box blank, and there would not be any confusion. Extra credit if they had added a column with the number of positions. In any case, it's not very clear as the designation SPDT could be 2 or 3 positions. Usually, it's marked SPDT center off, from which the designer is expected to deduce that this is a 3 position switch. Argh.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

A "3 Way" switch in the wall is an SPDT (the only thing a 3 port switch can be.)

Reply to
dave

There are 3 position wall switches available. The middle position puts a diode in series to dim the lights, full-on bypasses the diode. My parents had one of these switches in their dining room, until the diode opened, when it was replaced with a regular dimmer.

There are also "4-way" switches available for controlling a light from more than 2 locations.

Reply to
Jerry Peters

I had one three position diode light switch in the basement. The problem, some people would not turn it fully off, and leave it in the center.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Jeff Liebermann har bragt dette til os:

I find it fairly obvious. What is the connections in the center position? Answer: "It is OFF" -> A 3-position switch, center position OFF Answer: "It is NONE" -> A 2-position switch, there is NO center position

An X would be less obvious. Answer: "It is X" -> I don't know / Crossed over / ????

At least you will only make this mistake once ;-)

Not to insult you, but are you self-taught, or have you formal education in electronics, or some sort of apprenticeship? You should have learned the meaning of switch-nomenclature there.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to
Leif Neland

Odd, I have one of those in the bathroom, but the *center* position is off. Probably from the 1930's or 1940's, but I'm just guessing. The house originally built in 1850 is knob and tube wiring, much of it replaced with Romex.

Reply to
JW

No insult taken.

The problem is that the use of NONE appears to be new, something I wasn't aware of, as I haven't bought switches in several years.

The implication of NONE is that there's a third position with no electrical connection. Of course, that isn't it at all. Hence the confusion.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck