Capacitor Shield ?

or dried out :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Mr. Black:

yes.

But, these

0.1V 600V modern caps are BIG too. There is a youtube video of a guy that made a device to help you sort out the foil side. The foil side to the Low Z point makes a lot of sense.

Reply to
Ron D.

Notice the blue and black pair of wires that are carefully routed around the shield. My guess(tm) is that they carry AC power from the xformer partly obscured at the top of the photo. Also note that both ends of the steel shield are at chassis ground through mounting screws. The steel shield possibly provides some reduction in 60 Hz (hummmmm) coupling to the power supply filter caps. Later revisions, that didn't have the shield probably re-routed the AC wiring.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

I'd agree with that. Probably there was a hum or buzz in the low level magnetic phono circuits which are very sensitive. Mark

Reply to
makolber

Something must be wrong. Nobody ever agrees with me.

Marginally related anecdote: The easiest way to tell what something does is to remove it and see what breaks. I used to own a 1970 Land Rover Series IIa. In order to replace the spark plugs, I had to first remove a steel "heat shield". This bothered me as I could see no reason why a heat shield was necessary in such an open and drafty engine compartment, with nothing nearby to protect. So, I removed it. Everything was normal until I hit 57 mph, when the engine compartment turned into a giant low pitched whistle, which made enough noise to attract the attention of all the nearby drivers on the freeway. Apparently the "heat shield" detuned the engine compartment so that it would not whistle at operating speeds.

Remove the amplifier shield and see what happens. My bet is some low level hum, that could only be measured on instruments, but which would affect the advertised noise levels.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I didn't even notice the wire.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I didn't see it either. The shield looks OEM, even with the weird shape. The plating looks intact and it has no handling marks as if it was rigged up by somebody- no cut marks, no scratches from pliers etc.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader