can this monitor be repaired?

it is a 19 inch KDS monitor.

the sides of the screen shrink about an inch, it stays like that a few minutes, and goes back to normal.

any idea if this just needs horizantal hold adjustment , or some new capacitors perhaps? is it worth it to try to fix it?

Phil

Reply to
mrhuntnpeck

few

check for bad soldering first, start in the vicinity of the e-w circuit

A common cause are high ESR caps, and also the possibility of a cold solder connection. Bad caps are the most common cause of your description.

If you can have an ESR meter to check the caps, this is the best approach. If you can fix this monitor for a few dollars worth of parts, it would be worth it. Sending the monitor out for service would not be economically feasible for this type of monitor, because of the labour costs.

--
JANA
_____

Thanks Very much for the assistance JANA, I fix 30's and 40's tube radios as a hobby, well, hobby gone wild :) So I am pretty well useless with IC electronics, but not frightened by replacing or substituting caps, and re-wetting the solder joints. I will try this , but perhaps I should wait till it starts to happen more often so I can see right away when if I nail the problem down.

I wish I has one of those ESR meters. I really should, most of the stuff I work on is 50 to 70 years old so I use the shotgun approach more often than not. I have a heathkit checker with an eye tube.

..I didn't understand the reverend's acronym.... the e-w circut , that went over my head.

Phil

Reply to
mrhuntnpeck