Can removing a hard drive damage the power cable/supply?

I read somewhere that it is possible to damage the power cable and/or power supply by removing the hard drive. Is this true? If so, how and why? The reason I ask is because I think I might have damaged my own power supply by doing so. Is there a way to tell for sure, and/or a way to fix it if I did in fact damage it?

Reply to
The Slash

I have never damaged a power supply by removing a harddrive. I blew the hell out of my whole computer when I hooked a floppy drive up while it was running (I was to lazy to shut it down and was off by just one little pin). Unless you cut the power cable to the drive instead of unplugged it then you would have damaged the cable. You could mess up the supply that way too. Like I said I have never screwed up a supply by doing things the proper way (removing power and unplugging drive).

Reply to
ghn

It is very unlikely that you would have a fault occur in the power supply, and such would be just a coincidence, and not due to removing the drive. However of course it is quite possible that the connction cable could be damaged due to mechanical stress when disconnecting - especially if you pulled on the cable rather than just the connector.

Peter Dettmann

Reply to
Peter Dettmann

"The Slash" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Sure, why not? It's possible.

A couple thinking points:

  1. Sometimes those connectors are TIGHT, and it takes a lot of energy to remove them.
  2. Don't remove and plug in power cables with the PSU on. Even if you don't screw it up, some reset when a sudden new load is added.
  3. Any physical movement is a chance for failure.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

in my time, i've never had a power supply damaged by plugging/unplugging drives (apart from the odd molex connector which was a little too tight

- but nothing unrepairable with a pair of snipe nosed pliars). For that matter, i've also hooked up many floppy drives with the computer still on (I too have the lazy gene) - although I dont recommend it, it's perfectly doable. Although the last time I did this I discovered that the power cable to my hard disk was loose, and most systems do not like power interruption to the hard disks... system rebooted and some of my files got corrupted :(

Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune