"Calling Captain Stupid. Come in, Captain Stupid."

I have a Sony ICF-2010, one of several classic Sony digital shortwave radios. (The only thing "wrong" with it is that lacks stereo FM.)

It uses two batteries -- three D cells for the main power, two AA cells for the clock, control, and memory. One of the contacts for the latter broke loose, and I had to glue it back in place (using Goop, rather than epoxy), inserting some plastic shims for support.

When I reassembled the radio, the Power switch had no effect; it wouldn't turn on. The ICF-2010 is unusual in that the power and antenna connections are made through spring-loaded contacts to the main board, so that when you remove the back, you don't tear loose a bunch of fragile connections. I tried connecting them with jumpers, but still no luck.

Then I remembered the Main Power switch on the left side and checked it. It was Off.

Duh. Duh, duh, duh.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven\'t asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

What can I do for you?

Reply to
Capt Stupid

I appreciate the kind offer, but I was referring to myself as Captain Stupid.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I scrapped half a dozen LCD monitors (a particular model) as "dead" before a friend pointed out a power switch (in addition to the front panel switch) on the back of the units... :<

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Reply to
Arfa Daily

My brother in law threw away maybe a hundred CDRs after finding he could not write multiple sessions getting an error message that lead him to belive the disc was bad. All that was needed was to eject the disc and reload it so the burner could re-read the TOC after the session was written. He thought the disc was bad since it "couldn't read the TOC" :) (error msg)

Reply to
Meat Plow

That doesn't strike as particularly dumb -- the software should have been able to reload the TOC.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The software had an 'eject' button.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I don't know why, but a lot of CD burners are unable to read a freshly burned disc until they physically eject and reload it. Some software will try to force this automatically, but not all drives honor the eject/load commands. (Some, like slot-loading drives, physically can't.)

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Software dedicated to burning like Nero can reload the TOC using Nero Info Tool. I don't record multi-session discs so I have no experience with it otherwise. My brother-in-law was using an audio edititing tool to burn tracks he editited to a CDR. No need to close the disc and waste hundrededs of megabytes because it would never be read by anything other than the burner. In this situation the forced eject and reload was needed to continue with the next session. I consider the drive to be hanging in limbo so to say without closing the disc or ejecting and reloading the TOC.

Reply to
Meat Plow