call blocker device suggestions?

Sorry, that is not correct.

Reply to
Ken Blake

In message , Paul writes: {}

{} As opposed to the LC display, I presume ... (-:

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

You should be better educated on a topic before you propagate incorrect information. Nomorobo definitely DOES work on land lines, period.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

"you might get random information appearing on the liquid crystal display of your CallerID box"

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sorry, I was just teasing. LCD display, along with PIN number and HIV virus, are probably the commonest forms of PNS syndrome. In the case of LCD, it's probably because its predecessor, the LED display, _wasn't_ tautological (combined with the feeling lots of people have that abbreviations with only two letters are unsettling).

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

Caller ID is almost useless in my area. Turns out that the telemarketers are using bogus unassigned local (in area) numbers more and more frequently. Blocking specific out of area area codes still works for some of the calls. I swear that the telemarketers are using the do not call list as a data base to call anyway. To add insult, the calls, when answered, may transfer to another number that is also hidden, or an overseas answering center.

Reply to
Charlie

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 13:12:53 +0100, bill ashford wrote= :

no

en

on

se

I stopped using my landline for this reason. I use my mobile for everyt= hing. I have a =A35 a month fee which gives me 240 free minutes to mobi= les and landlines, which my landline didn't. It seems salesmen are less= likely to call mobiles as it costs them more, or they're not in the pho= nebook.

-- =

Do infants have as much fun in their infancy as adults do in adultery?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I have Vonage which I love. They have a feature called "selective call blocking" Vonage will by default block all calls that will not show their number. If you get a call where no message is left you can go to their site and see where the number came from. So many good features I don't think people even know about.

Reply to
Al Drake

But you can only block 10 ex-wives. :(

Reply to
Al Drake

I originally had JF Teck "Caller ID With Ring Controller". That device mutes the first ring while it reads the caller-ID, then allows or mutes any further rings if the offending number is found in memory. It has also has white-listing capability, which I never used.

The problem is that muting that first ring prevents the house phones from reading the caller-ID themselves.

You may remember a thread of mine from several years ago where I added my own box such that ring voltage was sent to the phones, but the phones had their ringers turned-off, thus "quietly" reading the caller-ID, my box then sent a ring signal on a separate pair to a local ringer.

Now I'm VOIP with Ooma, who subscribe to the Nomorobo listing, plus I personally block all 800 numbers... the silence is golden ;-)

For my cell phone I add spammers to my contact list, Zpam-1, etc., but set them to no-ring. It's rare that a spammer waits 9 rings to intrude on my voicemail >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I'd miss some important call that way. Sometimes the information does not show up, but it is a legitimate call that I want to take. Not sure why it happens, but it is sporadic. I ignored a call that said UNAVAILABLE but my wife picked it up. It was our son and his number usually show.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's not good. I have never known anything like that with Vonage. I also have it configured to ring with other lines as backup so I never miss a call that I want to answer. I also have 2 Magic Jack lines with an app on my cell that shows who is/was calling.

I am, however, receiving harassing calls from Comcast sales department at least 5 times a week lately. I answer them just to give them hell and see how long this continues. I'm thinking of filing some sort of complaint if I knew who to contact.

Reply to
Al Drake

Re: Comcast calls. Do a search for "comcast EECB". Bcc all on that list.

Reply to
Klay Anderson