Calibrated dial knob repair

I recently bought an old Eico 955 In circuit capacitor tester. It worked
right away, but I am going to recap it. But there is a problem. The
Calibrated dial knob wont clamp to the shaft. Someone apparently over
tightened the set screw and cracked the part that fits around the 1/4"
shaft. Someone also must have glued it, then broke it again. That only
makes gluing it again a worse option because the old glue is gooped all
over the pieces, so they wont fit together properly anymore.

Finding a replacement is likely not an option.
Knob Part number - Eico 89678

How would you fix this?

I do have one thought. To carefully grind away the entire center part of
that knob with a dremyl tool. Then take a new smallish knob with a set
screw and drill out the 1/4" hole thru to the face of that knob, and use
JB Weld to glue that new knob inside the old one. Of course the set
screw has to line up with the original set screw hole. (there is room
for a small knob inside). I might even have a solid aluminum knob that
will fit in there, but I have to find them....

However, grinding out that center will be tricky and time consuming,
since the new knob needs to be centered very precisely.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

The knobs all look different, the number of shaft configurations is very limited...

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

Not hardly. Even at it's best, it was only +/- 10%

I would suggest grinding out the crack and old glue, then
repairing the original knob with JB Weld.
Allow 24 hours for it to set up correctly.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

A few questions:

1.  Which knob?
<
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3834/11055642634_e5daa78fe7_b.jpg

2.  What part of the knob is cracked?  Is it the plastic part or the
brass center insert?  I haven't seen too many knobs without this brass
insert as threading the plastic doesn't last very long on small
diameter knobs.

I'll assume it's the brass insert.  These are very much the same for
all similar sized knobs that use a 1/4" dia shaft.  I've actually done
what you're proposing.  I used a lathe to insure that everything was
centered.  Instead of trying to totally drill out the brass insert, I
used a smaller drill (or end mill) that left a thin brass annular
ring.  I removed that with a pair of pliers.

The replacement brass insert was provided by a random knob from my
collection.  I inserted a 1/4" steel rod into the knob, gouged two
grooves 180 degrees apart in the plastic (being careful to NOT hit the
brass insert), and split open the knob.

Since both the plastic knobs and brass inserts were knurled, there was
no way these were going to fit together without some modification.
After some careful measurement, I put the original knob back into the
lathe, and enlarged the hole slightly so that the new brass insert
would fit.  I then roughed up the plastic with sandpaper to give the
glue something to grab onto.  I stuffed a grease covered steel (not
brass) screw into the set screw hole, smeared the brass insert with
epoxy, and let it harden.  The nylon screw was easily removed, but if
there has been some difficulty, I could easily have removed it with a
little brute force.

Good luck.
Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

The CALIBRATED one with numbers on it.

No brass parts, the set screw is in plastic, part of the piece that fits
on the 1/4" shaft is broken away (opposite set screw).

Like I said, there is no brass in it. not the best quality knob in my
opinion..... even if it is 50 years old.........

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

A lathe and some aluminum to make a metal fitting,  and some creative hollowing-out
of the old knob, can fix it.   Old plastic with cracks and glue just won't be a part of
the solution (it needn't look like the original, IMHO).

If the shaft is fully round, consider a lock fitting as used on old trimpots: the
knob can grab that shaft like a collet, but still come off with the right wrenches.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

This recently posted video might give you some ideas on what can be
done:

Cloning Vintage Knobs
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNBHtlhlHF4
(10:45)

I'm really impressed with his results.  The list of materials in the
video description section.  If you want to go cheap, try Automotive
Bondo and some mold release (or just some grease).

Drivel:  The Kidney stones are finally gone after six weeks and three
laser lithotripsy surgeries.  Not much pain and no complexications.  I
win.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

Wow, sorry to hear you were afflicted with those bastards.  I've had them several times and had one lithotripsy as did my wife (we're fertile I guess).  I passed a 6mm stone about three months ago.

Glad you're feeling better; drink more water and don't drink tea!

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

Medicine has progressed considerably since I had my last stone 10
years ago.  These days, the doctors insert a stent (plastic tube)
between the bladder and the affected kidney.  This takes the back
pressure off the kidney and therefore eliminated most of the pain.  It
was rather painful for about 2 days, until they inserted the stents
(one for each kidney).  However, there were some problems breaking up
the stones with the laser and extracting the resulting rubble.

Water yes, but your advice about tea is wrong.  Most stones are
calcium oxalate.  Prior to a few years ago, the recommendation was a
low oxalate diet and low calcium diet.  Tea has variable amounts of
oxalate content depending on type.  Same with many plant based foods
(kale, spinach, etc).  However, the main problem is not oxalates, but
rather calcium.  Reducing calcium intake is VERY difficult.  I also
have heart problems.  Finding a diet that is suitable for both is
difficult or impossible.

Today, the game plan of the year has changed.  Instead of reducing
calcium input, calcium rich foods are recommended to reduce kidney
stone production.  The idea is to have the calcium bind with the
oxalates in the foods BEFORE the mix gets to the kidneys, where it
gets precipitated as stones.  These need to be in the diet, not pills,
and need to have the calcium and oxalate foods eaten at the same time.
For example, adding cheese to the salad.

"Oxalate content and calcium binding capacity of tea and herbal teas."
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12495262

What go me was probably high fructose corn syrup, which is beginning
to appear as a cause of kidney stone production:
"The Not-so-Sweet Side of Fructose"
<https://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/20/3/457
"Fructose consumption and the risk of kidney stones"
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0085253815529517
This was probably my problem as I had increased my consumption of soda
pop over the last 10 years (when I had a previous stone).  Oops.  I'm
still reading through the literature on the how this allegedly works,
so please do not treat this rant and gospel.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair
e:

I was given the same info by the urologist, but I've found out that just ab
out everyone I spoke to about kidney stones were all big tea drinkers.  Whi
le tea may not have any calcium oxalate, it may cause some sort of unknown
reaction that will somehow foment something in the body that creates stones
.

I switched to green tea (black tea is supposedly worse as are dark sodas),
have just one cup at night during the winter, and chase it with a glass of
water right before bed.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I doubt that the doctors have any idea about what to drink.

I am 68 and have drank Southern Black sweet tea as almost my only drink
when I can get it.  Never had a stone.

Fellow at work is a few years younger and he does not drink soft drinks.
He has stones all the time.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair
Cutting to the chase, our younger cat (5-year old Maine Coon mix, 18 pounds
, 7 ounces) nearly died of kidney stones (Struvite stones).  We have had th
e two of them on Royal Canin SO since then (2 years now). Comes as wet or d
ry - and it seems to work. Might be a consideration.... ;-)>

https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-urinary/dp/35158?utm_sour
ce=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Royal%2
0Canin%20Veterinary%20Diet&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvqDiBRDAARIsADWh5TfM
qJkaG4Q358TyCRVhWIiWT1G71LWZz_reNe5R5LhBY68agY9D3zsaAoaGEALw_wcB

Plenty of Taurine!

It seems to help them keep their weight "good" as well. The big guy (at 21
pounds) has no bladder or kidney issues, but he gained weight on Meow Mix.
Back down to a (relatively) svelte 21 pounds now, from 24 at peak. He can s
till jump to the top of the refrigerator from a standing start.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair
t about everyone I spoke to about kidney stones were all big tea drinkers.
 While tea may not have any calcium oxalate, it may cause some sort of unkn
own reaction that will somehow foment something in the body that creates st
ones.
s), have just one cup at night during the winter, and chase it with a glass
 of water right before bed.

But we're talking about restrictions for folks who have a propensity to dev
elop stones. People who have had one will usually get dozens or more in the
ir lifetime.

Some people have to watch their sugar and carbs like a hawk.  My A1C last c
heckup was 5.0.  I can eat sugar all day long and not worry about diabetes,
 and I'm 61 years old.  Those (like my wife) whose A1C is higher have to wa
tch their carbs and are given certain diet restrictions.

So we're not saying that a certain food or drink will give you stones, we'r
e saying that those folks who are susceptible to kidney stones have specifi
c foods and drink on their moderation list.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

evelop stones. People who have had one will usually get dozens or more in t
heir lifetime.

I worked with a woman in her 20s that started getting stones when she was 1
9. Her Doc put her on, must have been, 20 types of diets, and 30 types of s
upplements of one sort or another.

What finally worked reasonably well was a diet that included a fair amount
of lemon or lime juice and one (1) 12-ounce beer each evening. So she had s
ome Corona with her lime juice.  Her Doc pretty much took the position that
 every person is different, and every person needs to find what works, whic
h will not be the same as what works for someone else.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
works for someone else.

Just like most drugs.  What may work well for many may kill some.

I think it is funny in a way where the drug may cause constipation or
give you the squirts, sleep or no sleep, and many other oppoists.

It is really difficult for me to even think of a drug that says it may
cause death.  If I was almost dead, I would probably give it a try as a
last resort.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair
unt of lemon or lime juice and one (1) 12-ounce beer each evening. So she h
ad some Corona with her lime juice.  Her Doc pretty much took the position
that every person is different, and every person needs to find what works,
which will not be the same as what

I have been told that drinking 1 Miller Lite per day is a preventative for
 stones as well.  I have heard this from a doctor as well as from 2 individ
uals that had stones previously.

Re: Calibrated dial knob repair

Popeye, the untold story.

--