CableWizard (InFocus vid proj.) IEEE-1284 pinning?

Surely I'm not the first to have to work out from suck-it-and-see? My googling did not throw it up.

36 way mini-centronics connector, which pins for ,primarily, SVGA connection and secondly serial Rx/Tx pins.? Dumpster dive projector , managed to repair power supply, but no semi-proprietary lead with it of course. A previous Infocus projector I made up a semi-proprietary M1 connector and lead and worked out the pinning , but anyone been here before for another Infocus? I'm not convinced there is a genuine supplier of these in the UK and 50 dollars +??? if genuine
Reply to
N_Cook

You sure this is IEEE-1284? That is usually used for printers and scanners, and is basically a standard bi-dir printer port with some different use of the signals. If it really is IEEE-1284, then there are a number of references online to the pinout, signalling protocol, etc. Know that IEEE-1284 and EPP parallel port are the same thing. Some of the places that have info are Warp 9 Engineering and the Jan Axelson book.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

IEEE-1284 mentioned in the service manual. Its what proprietary leads is all about , use standard hardware in non-standard way. For passing SVGA/RS232 and 2 audio channels. Gnd lines seem almost random posistioning along the 36 lines First hurdle, what I thought would be nice entry into pinning , traces connected to the connector, turn out to be Harris ESD protection ICs, so I'll have to trace back further. Plus ,when I get the projector back in its casing, powering up and looking for RS232 type standing Vs for a start

Reply to
N_Cook

Infocus LP435Z, 1024x768 projector, usual non-component level SM. I think I've identified the chippery and lines and IEEE pinning for the 2x audio ch, serial tranceiver, RGB inputs and sync inputs groups, time to put the lumps back in its case and get it powered up in a more secure way to differentiate (suck and see) further Vsync from Hsync, R/G/B etc

Reply to
N_Cook

Not that I know Polish, but someone in poland seems to have been here before

this pcb looks the same

on thread

N_Cook

IEEE-1284 is a version of the PC parallel port, with a bidirectional

8-bit data bus, and some hardware handshaking for clocking bytes across the bus. All signals are roughly TTL compatible digital signals. IEEE-1284 is also a software protocol for ID-ing devices on the bus.

SVGA is an analog separate color scheme with digital H- and V-sync signals. Not sure what SVGA/RS232 is, seems like a very odd combination, but it certainly has nothing to do with IEEE-1284.

What it sure sounds like is they used a standard connector, and maybe even standard cables, to run a totally different set of signals to the projector.

If your projector has the HD15 connector, I'd just skip the 36-pin one. If it only has the 36-pin connector, then use the Polish document you were VERY luck to find (!!) and make up a patch cable. You can probably find an old printer cable somewhere and cut into it. It doesn't have to be an IEEE-1284 cable, the ancient "Centronics" connector has been in use since the first PC's. (Amphenol micro blue-ribbon.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The Polish pinning for one SVGA connection agrees with a set of standing voltages on my one. A similar set is probably for PC2 feed or perhaps thru connection of PC1, the +/-9V pins are probably 2 RS232 or 1 fully constituted RS232 lines , just leaves the audio to confirm by feeding in some audio in an hour or so. And also a 12V pin. The point is, there is just this mini-centronics connector for all the main inputs/outputs, plus S video , 3x RCA video+audio and a 3.5mm audio input. Expensive but could have bought a 3M male connector but that would be for ribbon, awkward to connect to a chopped off SVGA lead. Used some interboard finger off a scrap PC card and a slightly squashed 15 pin D connector shell and hotmelt to fabricate a functional and convincing looking connector. Much easier to fit a 15 way screened lead to.

Reply to
N_Cook

My first atempt at making a mini-centronics connector did not work reliably. Second attempt and all 36 contacts good. Can confirm that Polish pinning works for SVGA connection, at 800x600 at least, despite not seemingly logical compared to the standing voltages on the projector connector.

Reply to
N_Cook

Just as well the Polish guy checked continuity of a CableWizard and placed in wwwland.

36 way connector 3.72*10^41 permutations, even minus 6 grounds 2.65*10^32 permutations. The pc2 group is probably the 2.7V standing Vs for the R/G/B, low voltages for audio and +/-9V for the RS232/s?, far less permutations for anyone needing those inputs
Reply to
N_Cook

I think 2 of the Polish pinnings are wrong, for 1024x768 XVGA.

15 pin "SVGA" p12 and p15 should be n/c rather stated, p15 makes no sense tying it to Blue signal and p12 to 5V , maybe high rather than a supply, but for ID0/1/2/3 purposes probably safer , with I2C option on that pin, to leave open. p4 and p11 to ground for XVGA setting
Reply to
N_Cook