Burning smell, sparks and noise from Miele vacuum cleaner motor

The only electronics (on a face plate) attached to the motor are a ST electronics BTB16 600BW chip (used for phase control in motor speed controllers) and an unidentified cylindrical component marked only as "43-02 97C".

Just curious whether the failure of either of these could be causing the motor failure symptoms in the subject line,

Reply to
Graz

At about the time of 10/2/2008 1:20 AM, Graz stated the following:

That 43-02 sounds like a motor running capacitor...43uf maybe? The 97C means that it will function correctly up to 97 degrees Celsius. A failure of the cap will cause problems. The chip mentioned is not a IC per say, but it's a triac.

is the datasheet on it.

It sounds like the motor is a standard induction motor with a 90 degree phase controlled startup winding.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

OK, thanks. I will try to measure the ESR on it. What sort of problems could failure cause?

Apparently it's also brushless. And not amenable to dissasembly.

Reply to
Graz

It starts fine, just sparks quite a bit, is noisy, and there's an electrical burning smell (from the sparks, presumably)

The cap checks out OK. It won't cost me much to replace the triac so it's worth a shot. I can get hold of a BTA16-600BW (locally) easily enough, but the BTB16-600BW will be more difficult. According to the data sheet, the only difference between them is that the "A" is insulated and the "B" is not, so I imagine I could use the "A"?

It just seemed odd to me that the actual motor on a vacuum cleaner less than 6 years old would pack up. Especially one made by Miele, which prides itself on the quality of its products.

Thanks for that, bookmarked. All your help much appreciated.

Reply to
Graz