BULLSHIT on The internet ! (what shall we do ?)

In a forum about cars here we go :

"If you needed a reverse rotation engine (for some reason)its just a cam sw ap, a starter relocate or swap and some tuning away."

Yeah right, then the oil pump sucks the oil out of your crank and cam beari ngs and pistons, and feeds it into the sump. (oilpan)

Without the special gear for the distributor, it will not work. It is more than just rearraingining the lobes. the oil pump must turn the right way, t he distributor not so much. And then there is the water pump, boat engines have those.

(yeah, reverse rotation engines are almost always used in twin engine boats , the yachtsters say they handle better)

But some centrifugal pumps can be run backwards. If the impellers are strai gh they have no problem with it. the problem is they are very rarely straig ht these days. They are bent for more efficiency. I got a buddy who works o r worked on the molds for impellers fro jet engines. Those do not reverse. don't think the thrust reversers even think of runing that thing backwards. Don;t work that way.

And that brings me to the real rant. Engine and motor. Most dictionaries co nsider them to be complete sysnonyms. They are not.

If a jet engine was a motor, you could shove its exhaust up it's exhaust an d have it come out fuel and O2 from the intake end. (just HOW could that be grammatically correct ? I really want to know)

The engine is a one way street and that is why Google is not called a searc h motor.

Now what else did I want to bitch about today ?

Oh, a guy on AK saying that changing out caps with high ESR affects the bia s of an audio amp. You know, you might have to consioder me a bit of an aud iophool because I am really trying to understand these people. But some thi ngs are out of this world.

got a piece of wood costrs thousands of dollars which picks your speaker w irtes up off the floor like a couple of inches to keep from that interefere nce or someting, or to keep the capacitance down, whatever. You could do it yourself for twenty bucks. Now that is what I consider audiophoolery.

Bt anyway, I guess tis OP here is an invitation to bring in soe stooooopidi ty that maybe some of us missed. Have a few laughs and maybe find out somet hing we didn't know before.

And if not f*ck it.

Reply to
jurb6006

I can see how changing the capacitors MIGHT affect the bias or sound. The older ones may have a higher leakage current and cause the voltage to shift slightly. While I doubt it is noticable, they seem to pay high dollars for the striped coupling capacitors from years of old.

I do agree the audio people can be sold most anything. Best example for me is an ad I saw in a magazine that wanted them to replace the AC line cord with some special oxygen free copper wire or something like that. Just suspose that 6 foot pice of wire that cost about $ 100 did do anything , what about the 20 to 50 feet of wire going to the breaker panel and then the miles of junk wire going from the house back to the power. generating station.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 10:28:52 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote: Best example for me

Those sound great, you just need to make sure they're installed properly because they are directional..

Reply to
John-Del

."I can see how changing the capacitors MIGHT affect the bias or sound."

That is a big "MIGHT". either the new ones or the old ones would have to be leaky. What's more they would have to be leaky enough to affect the supply voltage to the pre-out stages. Of course there is the one between the two bases across the bias regulator. But then the leakage would have to be pret ty damn severe. There is like only 2 volts across there.

Well I'm not trying to do that. I even told them they sghould just use Rome x for speaker wire if they think it makes that much difference. Actually I have heard the difference. I was working for a rental joint, you know, rent to own. The boss and I were arguing about that, and I mean a civil argumen t. I said it really doesn't matter much. Welkl I guess it is a metter of wh at you call much. He grabbed a new 50 foot pack of speaker wire and said "H ook it up.

I had the nice bench there. they afforded me the time to build it and I had a full patch baye with speaker in and out to test amps and speakers and li ne level piped out to the front and even a phono input piped out to the "pa tch bay" which I made out of the bac panel of an amp. I could do many thing s. I connected the wire from amp out to speaker in and still had the jumper s on.

When I removed the jupres I was almost taken aback. Seriously this is an EX TREME example. We are talking 50 feet of like # 22 or so. Cheap stuff. We a ctually used it because of that, if the idiots shorted the wires at least t he amps were not given a dead short. We had to fix them no matter what whil e under contract, so that was not a bad idea.

But this was not really audiophile equipment.

Most people do not know really, just how good sound can sound. I had some g ood speakers over the years and I can tell the difference. There is a diffe rence. Sound that like affects your brain n shit. Even maybe your body. Rem ember those low notes from a church organ ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Yes, and that is based on which way the gold doped silkworms were spinning their cocoons.

I know there is some audiophoolery out there, but some things do matter. Li ke in my last post, I have heard the difference when you use speaker wire t hat really is too thin and long. It is like putting a resistor in series wi th it and no it does not only attenuate, it actually changes the sound.

But the fact is with 14 guage, even at 50 feet I doubt you can hear the dif ference.

Oh and this capacitor thing. Oy vey miz vir. To get better sound, some are replacing caps in the protection circuit. HELLO, that is not in the audio p ath nor is it a supply for any audio stage. Whe you tell me that sonds bett er, there is something wrong here.

Maybe that's what I should do, set up a double blind and have them prove it to me. that's what Bob Carver did if I read my history correctly. People w ith really good ears can hear the difference in amps. He went and ith measu rement only, duplicated the sound of several amps. In the double vblind, th e audiophiles could tell the difference in different amp models easily, but his aim was to duplicat any amp. He did it and while they could tell the d ifference between the Marantz and the MAC, when he duplicated an amp they c ould not tell the difference.

This is some shit from back in the 1970s, but wiki does have something on i t. Actually Carver was pretty damn good. An MIT dropout actually. But he di d have his claim to fame. He sold Phase Linear to Pioneer and started Carve r, and from then on I didn't really like the products. He went into this co mmutating power supply shit which is an attempt at efficiency. And indeed t he 1.5T was something, and it was something that they kept the doistortion down as the TWO sets of commutators worked, and the line noise down from th e "magnetic field" regulator which was pretty much a traic based light dimm er on the primary of the power transformer with optocoupler control.

And then the asymetrical charge what the f*ck thing, which sorta like a Sho tz tuner, blended the channels of a weak FM station but added ambience to t he L-R from a CCD delay chip. Dude, you just left the high fidelity realm w ith that one. Sonic holography could be nice. If done right it can give you the separation of headphones but on speakers. In a very small range of lis tneing positions. But it seems Bob started to lust after that charge couple d device.

Gone was the high current technology of the past. The 1,000 damping factor of the 400/2 for example. I have presonally heard the difference. Even at l ow levels and on speakers that are not world class anymore. Still cna hear a difference and I know it is flat response because I have put square waves through quite a few amps. It bugs me that what I hear I cannot see, but th ere is a subtle difference.

Problem I have is when they start imagining it.

Enough for now. Later. I just wish people could distinguish reality from pe rception. There is some rality to it of course. But like the news in alot o f western countries it is so f***ed up with fluff and bullshit you don't kn ow what is going on. Like new stereos. You can hook it up to your phone, ip ad, dick, PC, laptop, CD player. OK, where are like the bass and treble, an d balance controls ? Wee we figured you don't need those and anstead put in ireless conectivity to Uncle Sam kows what you'r elisting to and when. Tha t helps them program all the music on the radio staions in the country from up in NYC.

Reply to
jurb6006

Going from # 22 to # 12 or # 14 can make a difference especially at higher power levels. For the same gauge wire, I doubt that using the high dollar 'Monster Cable" would be noticable over the romex or any other type of parallel wire cable.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It is not so much the power level as the current. the speaker's impedance i s not the same at all frequencies. When you put a resistor in series with a reactive load, which a speaker is, the frequency response curve will follo w the inverse of the speaker's impedance curve.

I'll tell you where this hurrts the most - old good sealed system speakers. Them SOBs have no idea what 8 ohms is. They vary from like 3 to 300 ohms. The frequencies at which they are 300 ohms will pass ust fine, but the freq uencies at which they are 3 ohms, well 1 ohm would cause noticable attenuat ion. Lopp off a quarter of that voltage and you lose half the power. Now TH AT you can hear. It is not audiophoolery.

I just like to separate out the chaff.

Reply to
jurb6006

I heard that they spin those cocoons different in the southern hemisphere, but I digress..

I'll never forget the time one of my customers had an AC line conditioner on his TV and insisted it improved the black level.

Reply to
John-Del

I'm sure many have seen this but for those that haven't it's a hoot. This is a response when "Monster Cable had issued a cease and desist letter to Blue Jeans Cable about their Tartan cables.

2008

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I hadn't. And now I can't unsee it LOLOLOLOL.

Know what all that is ? That is lawyer speak for "SUE ME MF !".

Reply to
jurb6006

and look at the claims, then the prices...

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Reply to

Check this out. Many years ago I sold this company's products. (because I would have lost my job and I had a child to support) Every Christmas Ray Kimber would send us some nice multigrain bread and honey. Here is one of the reasons he could be so kind.

Chuck

I haven't seen it and it is a hoot.

Answer to an audiophile question at alt.engineering.electrical

see the post by Bill Shymanski

Reply to
bud--

They don't think of that. Which, of course, is the whole problem with the audiophool crowd. They don't THINK! They just believe! Where have I heard that befoe?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Politics and religion.