Bulging caps by design?

Getting inside a TV for the all too common reason, to divert the crappy internal speakers to something decent, ie larger for some bass, externally.

3 caps on the ps marked "G-LUX" 470uF, 10V gold and black all with exactly the same degree of bulge. No problem with the TV. Google images shows none of that type. No other G-Lux examples on the boards to compare with. They have the incised Y type of end to the cap.

While inside took some data, perhaps useful for someone sometime. Beko 22WLP530HID, 2008 video board BEKO ELEKTRONIK XZT190-R-3 main ICs NEC DE1115GM Sony CXD1968BR MSJ7286 D2516AETA ps board Grundig XST194-1V-0 LG Display LC220WEI

Reply to
N_Cook

Lytic caps don't bulge by design. If they're bulging, they're going into failure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

These caps are known for failing. Replace all of them.

Reply to
Chuck

I prefer to use a hi-fi or entertainment contrivance that already has proper external speakers and better bass/treble controls. I usually need to couple it through an isolation xformer to avoid hummmmm caused by a ground loop.

G-Lux is the abrev for G-Luxon capacitors: They merged with Teapo Electronic Company of Taiwan in 2005: which means those caps were probably some of the first caps out of the factory in China.

The TV is 11 years old. Maybe it's time to replace the bulging caps. If you can make them fit, I suggest a higher voltage rating.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Higher voltage is ok, but higher temperature is probably better. I think 105 deg C is the higher ones now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yep. 105C is better.

In computahs, I've been replacing bulging electrolytics with aluminum polymer caps. They're substantially more expensive, but that's not an issue for simple recapping of a motherboard, where the quantities of caps used are small. Most of the better motherboards already use polymer caps instead of electrolytics, especially near the rather warm CPU. I have yet to replace a polymer capacitor, while electrolytic replacements are epidemic.

Here's the Mouser selection of 470uf 16v polymer caps: Unfortunately, 16v is as high a voltage that can be commonly found. Mouser only has one cap rated at 25v:

No clue what's happening in the TV business. My guess(tm) is that they continue to use the cheapest parts possible on the assumption that using expensive parts, which might outlast the other overheating parts in the TV, is bad design economics.

"Bad Electrolytic Capacitor Teardown" (4:32)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

TVs these days have Class D balanced drivers feeding the speakers with little filtering.

This makes it a PITA to get audio out if the set does not already have that feature.

I needed to use small audio transformers and low pass filters to get the switching freq down.

And after all that, there still was no bass, I had to find a hidden sub menu to change the audio mode to full range.

mark

Reply to
makolber

per external speakers and better bass/treble controls.

Bass and treble ? I have a design that will blow your mind. If your public email is good I'll send you the print. Once I find it.

We are talking +/- 20dB, bass turnover continuously variable from about 40 to 400 Hz, treble has the same +/- 20dB with the turnover continuously vari able from about 3KHz to 7KHz.

The only thing I am working on now is to decrease the effect of the treble when the turnover is lowered, meaning it boosts more frequencies. The reaso n is that if you got it set to 7K that 20dB boost is not that much, it is j ust bringing to you that sweet timbre. Take it to 4KHz and we are talking b lowing tweeters fast like. So when I am done it is only going to have +/- 2

0 when set to the highest turnover.

Actually I am pretty sure I can just put some cutable jumpers on the board to allow the full range at all settings for those who get their tweeters wh olesale...

It is a different approach to tone controls and I think I saw it implemente d in some unit somewhere, but not as advanced as mine. No variable turnover .

I used to have the circuit values figured out but I lost it dammit. Doesn't matter I can figure it out again fast enough.

Actually if I get it up and send it you'll see because of the topology the values are very easy to figure.

Worse comes to worse I got it on paper and I can just scan it, where it was anyway, there is no Spice file of it.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

My email in the signature works. However, please don't send me your design. I'm not into audio (pro or prosumer) and really don't have the time to look at it, analyze it with LTSpice, critique it, build it, or test it. Good luck with your design.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Are there graduate lab students or corporate scientists who?ve seen it and it?s results? Who are they and what are their findings?

Reply to
bruce2bowser

To add to this poster's point, a couple of things; The third notch in the cap. is for heat dissipation because these are less expensive, cheaply made caps. Also, the temperature co-efficient could be rated lower than what the circuit is designed for (to assure low tolerance, higher likelihood of failure and making device outmoded). I have seen many TV's with the 85 degree C caps working a lot better on 105 degree C caps. I increased the temp coefficient to make the circuit more robust and dissipate the heat. This made the TV l fixed more likely to last. Never had a customer complain.

Reply to
Charles Lucas