built in electric oven stopped working

my electric oven has just stopped working thought it was the fuse as the ignition and the clock both not working either - changed that and still nothing, checked the main fuse but that seems ok any ideas?? There was no bang or fuse tripping before hand just one day it worked and the next it didn't!!

Any advice would be great thanks x

--
beckyboo
Reply to

What's the voltage measurement at the electrical box connected to the oven?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"Electric oven", "ignition" ?

Sounds like a natural GAS oven with electric controls.

Did clock work when fuse was changed?

If not, then meter the incoming AC. Maybe a rat ate thru your wiring ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

'Sure is quiet in here. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

**Assuming the clock controls the oven timer, then that is where the problem likely lies. There will be a relay (or TRIAC) that controls the elements. You could short out the relay and get the oven working, or you could fix the clock. The fault with the clock is most likely the power supply. Specifically: Any electrolytic caps in that power supply. The caps will probably be rated at 125 degrees C or more. Hard to find, but not too expensive.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

The OP seems to have disappeared without answering my questions about make model, type, etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann

**SOP for the internet. They turn up, asking questions, but failing to supply the most basic information.

I bet the fault lies with the clock power supply. Ovens are extremely simple devices. The only complicated thing is the clock and element control system. Well, except for the very latest ovens. They are microprocessor controlled things. You can still bet that electros will be the problem when they go belly-up.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

the

ll

ext

This discussion concerning taking voltage measurements at the input of the oven sounds a bit over the OP's head. And this person really considered screwing around with what probably is a 240V appliance? I see this ALL the time however it never ceases to amaze me. I think they were looking for the little man inside sitting on the defective component and waving the flag. Sounds more like a case of "Operator Head space" to me. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

(...)

Beckyboo provided us with the trouble symptom, what she did in an attempt to fix the problem and a simple request for help, all stated in easily understandable English.

She safely checked and replaced fuses in the fuse box, so she should have no trouble safely driving a multimeter.

As others have said, there is a small question about what she meant by 'ignition' if this really is an *electric* oven. :)

About the worst thing one can say is that she apparently expected an answer within minutes of typing her question into USENET and didn't bother to answer follow-up questions.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I may have been a bit cynical, but people trying to repair their own stuff these days coupled with the cheap crap imported from China is killing the repair business for all the rest of us, and if I hurt her feelings I am truly sorry. However with talk of ignition, multimeters and triacs, I would bet that she now realizes that this repair should be left to a professional. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

(...)

Meh. She left the scene minutes after posting her request. :)

I'm not going to bore you with all the 'professional' level service I've had lately which required my attention before proper function was gained. Present company excepted of course but at my house, 'professional' attention virtually guarantees that something is very badly mangled.

Jeeze, stop twisting! All right:

Fan hood under microwave oven installed with the exhaust flap still secured shut for shipping. The "Remove before installation" tag still in place holding the vent closed. House would fill with smoke during grilling, setting off smoke alarms.

Small stones placed underneath strainer basket in dish washer at installation, causing drainage problems.

Aftermarket elastomer restrictor installed in the condensate drain of new refrigerator, guaranteeing blockage of condensate and ice buildup in the bottom of the freezer compartment after the first power outage.

Dual gang outlets left dangling 6" out of the front of an electrical outlet box under the sink by 'electrician'.

Defective tire mounted on car, causing pulling to the right.

Brakes misadjusted on car, causing stopping distances to be stunningly extended.

Lug nuts over-tightened on car causing rotor warpage.

'Incomplete' installation of brake parts, causing brake shoes to wear conically.

Irrigation tubing installed so that plant roots slowly crimped it shut.

Removed three loads of soil repeatedly dumped in back yard by previous landscape contractor after I told him that I didn't need or want any additional soil placed there.

Repaired driver side seat swapped into my car during tire mounting. Replaced damaged dipstick and oil cap swapped during same tire mounting.

Replaced battery in SWMBO's watch that had just been replaced by a 'professional' watch repair outfit. My battery still works great months later, theirs lasted a few weeks then konked out.

Replaced water main to house to recover from a landscaper leak that caused my flower bed to surf down the driveway.

It goes on and on!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

+1

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

When I had a problem with my Oven, I called related customer service. They were very helpful.

allappliance
Reply to
allappliance