Brother MFC-9130CW intermittently won't power on.

We've had this Brother MFC-9130CW printer/scanner/fax for about 3 years. Sometimes (about twice a week) when you try to power it on, it doesn't go on. The internet is full of similar complaints about this issue. The "fix" is to unplug it for a minute and then plug it back in. This workaround always works. I'd be more interested in finding out how to permanently fix it. It worked fine for the first two years plus. Has anyone disassembled one of these and found a cure for this?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

when you say you "try to power it on"

do you mean you push the physical power button on the printer?

or is the printer in sleep mode and you send it data which is supposed to wake it up?

makolber

Every evening I hold the power button down for a couple of seconds until it powers off completely. It is not in sleep mode. The only way to use it again is to hold the power button down for a couple of seconds until it powers back on. Then you can use it. I'm about to go hunting for some disassembly instructions because it wouldn't power on again today.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

why did you do this..?

it draws very little power in sleep mode.

makolber

Did you find a solution?

Reply to
Spare Change

Not yet, though I did find a service manual.

Take note (on page 331) of the extensive procedure required if you ever had to replace the power supply board .

When the problem becomes more frequent and annoying, then I'll disassemble it and look for cold solder joints, failing capacitors, etc...

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA