Broken Nook Simple Touch

E-reader. Very nice. The other day I fell on it and broke it in some mysterious way. After the fall the backlight turned on with a long-press of the appropriate button, but the display would not change from the standard picture. After a while that stopped working too. Nothing worked.

Took it apart and couldn't see anything obviously broken. A new one is ~$25 on ebay, so buying a $9 battery on spec is silly, especially when I have a spare from a yard sale.

Can anybody speculate on what might be broken?

--
Cheers, Bev
   In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

A lot of the interconnections are surface-mount things that wedge or clamp flexible cables; I've seen those dislodge (or actually break solder joints) without being obvious. A probe with a stick (I keep chopsticks in the toolbox) can make it wiggle, if that's the issue.

Reply to
whit3rd

Not many people know what chopsticks were originally for.

Reply to
micky

And at that, I don't even think 'chop sticks' is even the name to use (or even the right alphabet).

Reply to
bruce2bowser

First of all, a microscope might be handy in a do it yourself manner. I wonder what hardware manufacturer makes the Nook. Could it be Toshiba? Samsung? Apple?

Reply to
bruce2bowser

It depends on how hard you fell on it.

Long ago a roommate brought me his 6" CRT tv AM-FM clock radio. The only one I've ever seen. His father got mad at him and threw it at him.

The picture tube was fine but the circuit board was broken. I soldered jumper wires across the leads that were broken, not at the break points but from the places where components were soldered in closest to the break points. About 15 pairs of them, but it worked afterwards. Most were obvious but some a few were just little cracks. I think you could solder straight the "wires", the traces, but you'd have to scrape off the lacquer or whatever it's covered with.

Reply to
micky

Extremely nearsighted person examined whatever was visible and found nothing cracked or broken, so I put it in a plastic bag to await inspiration or the breakage of the one I'm using now.

Thanks, guys.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "One's chances of winning the lottery are not appreciably