Broken Monitor

Hi,

just wanted to know if following problem is fixable/can be fixed for a reasonable price: I just bought a used Syncmaster 959nf monitor, but it has a bad red blur or red-ish field in the upper left corner (don't know the english term for that). Working in windows is real bad, the blue window frame of every window becomes red the more it gets to the left... So can I or a real mechanic fix this problem? Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance, Maximilian

Reply to
max

Degaussing?

Reply to
Simon Scott

The mask in the screen (CRT) may be magnetized. The screen may need to be degaussed. The internal degausser may not be working. It is also possible that the mask in the CRT is defective. In this case, the monitor will not be feasible to service.

--
JANA
_____

Already did degauss which didn't help, and no, there are no nearby electrical devices like subwoofers or similar.

Reply to
max

some guy told me, it could because of condensation water. in that case you have to wait for one day after delivery until you first plug the monitor and use it, which i didn't do. Is there a possibility to "clean" or get somehow rid of this water even afterwards i plugged the monitor to the power?

Thanks, Maximilian

Reply to
max

Forget that, it's not relevent. The CRT is either magnetised and needs a degauss with a degaussing wand, the shadow mask is distorted which means the monitor is unrepairable, or the built in degaussing has failed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

okay, that's good, bcecause this guy telling me is the guy that sold me that piece on ebay...

Reply to
max

It sounds like he's wriggling out of his responsibilities. I'd try and get a refund, or at least report the matter to eBay. Was it well packaged? A hard knock could cause these symptoms.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

One remote possibility is that some magnets behind the tube (usually near neck) are lost. But this is quite rare. Most propable cause is that the monitor has been dropped and the internal shadow mask is bent.

ismo

Reply to
Ismo Salonen

If degaussing didn't help, try tilting the monitor on its side and see if the symptom changes - it could be a loose or warped shadowmask!

Reply to
I.F.

Just my experience buying on Ebay and other items I've bought online, the ones shipped UPS seem to take a beating. Most of the ones I have recieved look like they ran the truck over them or dropped them off of a building. I once had to return a flyback transformer to MCM and watched the lady at UPS throw it 15ft. to the conveyor belt. I agree with the others who have posted that it's probally the shadow mask or the magnets on the tube if it has them. Espacially if the box appears beat up. Hope this helps.

Regards, Chance

Reply to
Chance

My experience with UPS is the same as Chance. UPS tends to toture the huge parcels. I shipped a computer to California, and it 's well packaged, but when it arrived, the computer has big dent at the both sides. When the buyer sent me the picture, the computer looks like it has been droped from 100ft. Fortunately, the computer is insuranced(

Reply to
saturnlee

Thanks! I don't think it's from bad packaging or from bad delivery, the package seemed to me undamaged and also the monitor was really good packed with a lot of plastic and cardboard. But anyway, I will have to send it back, the Samsung people told me that the repair would take at minimum 50 =80, plus 18 =80 for each delivery from me and back to me, so it will end up at at least 86 =80, which is more than what I paid for the thing. Plus they told me, that most probably it will cost far more than this minimum charge (can you see =80 correctly? if not, =80 =3D EUR).

That tought me something! No big things from ebay!

Reply to
max