Bose Wave Radio loud AC hum

My 1994 Bose Wave Radio has a VERY loud AC hum from the speakers, no other sound. All displays are fine; display will show stations tuned to, but no signal comes through. I checked the main filter capacitor (10,000 mfd, 10V) and it seems to be OK.

Help!

Also, Where can I get a schematic of this radio?

Reply to
flyer44er

HI.

I doubt such a large cap without excessive heat would fail, have you checked other smaller caps in the PSU with an ESR meter ?

Reply to
nospam

Mail me off-group using the address that I posted this from, with the six digit number from the main board, and I should be able to find you a set of schematics. Alternatively, send me a decent digital image of the main board. There are many different variants of chassis fitted to Wave Radios, but I have schematics to cover most of them if not exactly, then close enough to make no odds.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If that's the version that has a small vertical daughter board near the power transformer, then the problem is caused by leaking caps. Bose used a bad batch of caps in their early Wave radios. Every single one of those miniature electrolytics (and any others that are the same brand) will have to be replaced. Don't forget the ones on the display board, and the daughter board. You'll also have to thoroughly clean the entire circuit board which has a film of conductive electrolyte all over it. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I am really surprised A BOSE radio is supposed to be top quality. I do not think that BOSE corp will give you a diagram . I have worked on radios. The older ones that used discrete components and could be restored. I do not think the bose is repairable at the component level. bose will probably sell you the innards. modern solid state radios are not easily repaired or diagnostic tests done on them . mainly because they use special integrated circuits. I would contact BOSE and see if they will replace the innerds.. or the entire radio.

To trouble shoot that set you would need the equipment to signal trace the circuit on your set... if the power supply went bad and applied the wrong voltage to the integrated circuits are probably shot.. GoodLuck ben

Reply to
BEN

    * is just one of the various forum/newsgroup archive websites that can cause this responding to really OLD posts thing, not just Google Groups.
Reply to
rev.11d.meow

AHA !

So we need a constant thing at the top. Didn't Sam used to do something like that ? Keep posting stuff and links to repairfaq.org and all that ?

Hmmmm

Reply to
jurb6006

Thunderbird sorts by date and time, latest at the top. I don't organize by threads. Strictly chrono.

Reply to
dave

On Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrot e:

Check the speakers when you power it up. See if either on of them draw inwa rd to outward. If so the main amplifier chip has failed. This will also gi ve a loud 60hz hum. Bose will not sell you the chip but I found a youtube v ideo of such a fix and he mentioned where he got it

Reply to
ryan96se

Do you realize the original question is from seven years ago ?

Do you realize someone did the same shit a little over a year ago ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Reply to
elvillafane

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMpoppopopBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZ

POPZICK _____________

Reply to
avagadro7

Sure the hum is coming from the radio or is Raeanne sitting next to the radio with a black dick in her mouth?

Reply to
Phoena Greene

Reply to
elvillafane