Billy Mays TV Filter Needed

Do we have any electronics experts out here who can develop a Billy Mays TV filter? What's needed is a filter which will automatically mute the sound whenever a yelling Billy Mays commercial comes on.

If you're not familiar with Billy Mays, he's the dark bearded fat man who can not speak in a normal tone, only yells and screams. He does commercials for Oxy Clean, Hercules Hook, and all sorts of other useless junk. The ideal solution would be to hang him from a hercules hook, and while giving him an oxy clean enema, remove his vocal chords. But that's not likely to happen.

I'm getting really tired of manually hitting the mute button on my remote everytime his abrasive and most irritating yelling voice invades my serenity. There's got to be a way to automatically detect his obnoxious voice and instantly mute the sound for the duration of the commercial.

If anyone can develop one of these, they could become wealthy. Please post the schematic if you know a way to block him.

One final comment. If you hate this guy as much as most of us do, NEVER, EVER buy anything he advertises. Besides most if not all the products he promotes are junk, (recently proven by consumer groups). You do not want to support his products. If sales drop, his commercials will also be dropped, and he'll fade out of out televisions and never be heard from again.

Until then, we need a Mays Filter !!!!

Dan

Reply to
dannydee

I dont hate Billy Mays, but those commercials are irksome.About all I can do about tv commercials is Mute the sound or change channels.He pops up almost everywhere on tv.Last night I was watching BBC America tv news and up popped Billy Mays.There are a lot of other tv commercials I dont like either. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I already have one. It's call the 'off' button.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, there is something not quite right about someone saying "I watch adverts and they annoy me". It's like an addiction, where there is not a simgle logical reason why you should carry on doing what you are doing, yet you still do it, usually to your great detriment.

I've been muting adverts for about a year now. Occasionally I forget and hear one, and am just astounded at how crass and manipulative they are, and how I so do not want to hear another one ever again and be drawn into that stupid commercial world that says "you need this product". The mute button is your friend, the off button, as the above poster says, may well be your (and my) saviour and introduction to the real world.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I have one as well.

I use it to download the .nzb's for the few shows that I like, and download 'em from Usenet. As a bonus ALL commercials are edited out.

Reply to
JW

Two solutions come to mind:

Quit watching TV, there's not much worth seeing on anyway.

or

Get a DVR, pause it for a while to build up a buffer, then skip the commercials.

Reply to
James Sweet

Some tv commercials aren't so bad.Dallas Auto Painting & Collision Repair shop has two good ones.The newest one is two Deers riding along in a car at night time, one of the Deer is driving the car.They see a semi nude man standing in the middle of the road, stareing at the head lights and suddenly the man darts off the road into the bushes.The Deer that is driving the car says to the other Deer, It's almost like they want to get hit!

The other one is a pretty blonde woman drives to a golf course.She stops and takes a sledge hammer out of the trunk of her car and she walks over to a red sporty looking convetible car and she buries the sledge hammer into the hood of that car and she bust the windshield.Just at that moment a guy pulls up in a car exactly like the car she was destroying.He says, Honey, What are you doing? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:38:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net put finger to keyboard and composed:

I notice that Internet advertisers are actively trying to circumvent Mozilla's ad killer by refusing access to their web sites when this ad killer is detected. I wonder if content protection will ever get to the point where the MUTE function is disabled at the insistence of content providers as a condition of access to their services.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I haven't encountered one of those. What's the website in question?

Reply to
James Sweet

There isn't a single one of them I can't do without. I shall have to get and install the ad killer.

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
        Three feet

Try using the Mute button on the remote, or just simply turn down the volume. It's a lot cheaper than having a custom made filter! Then when the commercial expires, you will be stuck with a useless device!

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Jerry G.

I can't help with the filter, but I do have an observation. Billy Mays is one of TV's biggest thiefs. He sells products that don't work, and he's likely making a fortune doing it (I love the one where he wipes some sort of snake oil on a car with a deep paint scratch and it disappears instantly). I don't have a clue how this man sleeps at night.

Reply to
John-Del

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:20:52 GMT, "James Sweet" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't use Mozilla/Firefox, except in those cases where Opera has trouble rendering a site. In fact I've been using a Javascript based ad and flash blocker for quite some time on the Opera platform.

See

As for Firefox, maybe I was wrong about the extent of the backlash against Mozilla, and maybe I was wrong about Adblock being detected instead of the browser itself, but I do recall that content providers were looking at ways to hit back.

Anyway, I found this Wikipedia article:

"A number of website owners, particularly those whose sites display online advertisements, argue that the use of ad-blocking software such as Adblock is cutting off their revenue stream, with some going as far as calling it tantamount to theft. The central argument against ad-blocking software holds that advertisements allow website owners to pay for server upkeep and bandwidth bills to continue hosting their content for free. Some websites have taken counter-measures against ad-blocking software, such as attempting to detect the presence of ad blockers and informing users of their views, or outright preventing users from accessing the content unless they disable the ad-blocking software."

"Some webmasters have used JavaScript to detect the effects of the popular Adblock filters. This has been done by generating a honeypot-like URL and verifying its delivery and also by more advanced verification of the DOM after the web page is rendered in the web browser to ensure the expected advertising elements are present.

These methods do not detect the presence of the Adblock extension directly, only the effects of the filters, and are vulnerable to continued updates to the filters.

An attempt was made to detect the plug-in itself but that detection method was rendered unusable by the 7.5.2 update of AdBlock Plus."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You know, if the ads hadn't become so obnoxious, I never would have bothered blocking them in the first place. It started out with the stupid X10 ads, flashy animated things popping up all the time, then it got even worse when sites started using overlaid flash ads with blaring sound, at that point I got fed up and blocked everything, even benign ads.

Theft? What are they smoking? Is it also theft if I ignore the ads mentally? Is channel surfing during TV commercials theft?

Reply to
James Sweet

Inoreing the ads mentally and channel surfing is not theft.I paid for my tv sets (the one I use with my WebTV set top only, and my other tv set sitting right next to that one that I only have my DirecTV set top box hooked up to for watching tv) and my set top boxes with my own money.I Own them and what I do with them is my business, only. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin