Beovision 8800 no spot killer

I was hoping for some insight by more experienced people on this one:

Short version: After repair (HOT) TV works fine, but spot killer is inadequate. Bang and Olufsen Beovision 8800, approx 25 years old.

Long version: I'm a complete newbie with this. I got the TV for nothing, and using Sam's FAQ I diagnosed a blown HOT (BU208), replaced it, and the fuse, and presto the set came on. A slightly bright picture and inapropriate range in the brightness control got me to experiment with the pot on the neck of the tube. Adjusted to a better range, and I now can get a black screen when the brightness is set to zero. The picture is stable, bright and I found a 'one for all' remote to work (most)of the user functions.

So far so good. The only disappointment is a bright spot for a few seconds after the set is turned off.

Turning off, the screen goes dark for a split second, then the spot appears, also for a short time (less than 3 seconds) and fades off.

Now, given the age of set and the outrageous price I paid for it, and my complete inexperience in the topic, maybe I should think myself lucky and leave at that. But I would be surprised to think a BO set would have this 'feature'. Also, maybe, I think a total fix might be within reach, only if I new where to look (a weak supply capacitor in the horizontal oscillator, for example).

Call me sentimental, but this is the first TV I have fixed. It would be nice to get it 'just right'. Also I hate sending stuff to land-fill unnecessarilly - I assume the tube will not last long before a 'burn in' in the centre of the screen.

Please help me finesse this job and indulge my obsessive tendencies ;-)

Thanks

Philippe

Reply to
Phimor

The "flash" you see, may be normal for the unit. Make sure you check the solder connections @ the horizontal drive section, & replace the capacitor, if it's electrolytic ( polarized..has a plus, & negative). Rono.

Reply to
Rono

Thank you Rono,

I will try changing more of the electrolitics. I changed one that looked obviously like a culprit and had to re-adjust the brightness...so it did something.

I thought a set of the calibre of this B&O would have some kind of 'spot killer'..

Cheers

Philippe

Reply to
Phimor