Belden 8218 Mini RG-59 75 Ohm Video Coaxial Cable Substitute Equivalent

I've been searching without sucess to find another designation for Belden

8218 mini coax cable.

I did find General Cable/Carol C1158 suggested as a substitute, but wasn't able to find/compare the actual specs. (I dunno what that number represents, but RG-58 is 50 ohm cable and significantly different).

27 AWG stranded (7x35) .017" bare copper-covered steel conductor, polyethylene insulation, tinned copper braid shield (95% coverage), PVC jacket.

Overall Nominal Diameter: 0.150 in.

It's the stranded center conductor and .150" outer diameter (slightly larger than 1/8") that make the 8218 unique in coax characteristics.

I've seen that 8218 is available from major distributors at ~$300/500ft rolls, but no smaller lengths. Typically, it's a special order product with significant lead times.

One online seller lists 8218 at $.45/ft, but also seems to think that the shipping should be another $.29/ft ($44 for 150ft).

I have the correct BNC connectors and crimping dies which make very compact and reliable cable assemblies possible.

Any recommendations appreciated, Thanks

--
Cheers,
WB

Gepco VDM250? 75 ohm, 0.154" OD, 25 AWG stranded center conductor.

I don't know if it's any good or not; I just found it by searching at Markertek. They want $243 for a 1000-foot roll, but don't claim that it is in stock; they claim "normally 3-5 business days".

They appear to stock many more variations on Gepco VDM230, including shorter reels, but that cable is 0.164" OD.

Markertek also lists Belden 8218 at $257/500 feet, but it has the same "3-5 business days" designation, so your mileage may vary.

It might be worth an email or phone call directly to Belden to ask for a stocking distributor. They probably know who's bought some lately. :)

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Thanks again, Matt. The price, free shipping and 3-5 day delay are all better than I saw anywhere. Delays of weeks, even.

Checking on my order for 150ft, it seems it still hasn't shipped, a week after the order was placed ($111/150ft).

I was looking at the Gepco online info, but didn't see the VDM250, and didn't know what SDI meant until I just looked it up.

I figured there were similar coax cables available since I've seen mini coax used in the manufacture of a lot of commercial equipment.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Wild_Bill

It might be worth a phone call or email before you believe the "3-5 day" figure. You *hope* it means that Markertek is best buddies with Belden and therefore gets access to the secret vault of oddball cables... but if everyone+dog says the Belden cable has weeks of lead time, and Markertek is the only place saying "3-5 days", then it's at least possible that they *always* say "3-5 days" regardless of actual lead time.

I haven't personally ordered anything from Markertek. I just know of them as a source from a previous job, where a co-worker who was doing video and audio stuff would order big bags of XLR connectors and similar "common" items from them, and they would show up reasonably promptly.

I have too, but it's all been RF and test equipment stuff, where the world is 50 ohms.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Yep, lots of miniature 50 ohm stuff to choose from and they're well into the GHz.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Do you need stranded / solid poly coax? We use a lot of 1855 at work but it 's solid conductor / foam and 0.159 overall. It does have about half the at tenuation of 8218

Reply to
stratus46

Thanks.. the 1855 does appear to be less expensive although larger diameter.

The 8218 stranded center conductor seems to me to be more suitable for jumper test cables and temporary setups (mobile field uses for example), whereas the solid center conductor of other types of coax would seem to me to be more suitable for somewhat permanent installations. Jumpers for test bench use and short lengths of less than 40ft would be adequate for most of my uses.

I was notified by the online seller that my 150ft order of 8218 has been sent (by USPS), so I'll take up the $44 shipping cost with customer service when it's received.

--
Cheers,
WB

 wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:22:09 AM UTC-7, Wild_Bill wrote:
> I've been searching without sucess to find another designation for Belden
>
> 8218 mini coax cable.

Do you need stranded / solid poly coax? We use a lot of 1855 at work but
it's solid conductor / foam and 0.159 overall. It does have about half the
attenuation of 8218

G²
Reply to
Wild_Bill