BBC 4 prog tonight (UK)

"Play it Loud: The Story of the Marshall Amp"

22:00-23:00

probably not very technical - but includes interview with founder.

Reply to
Geo

"Play it Loud: The Story of the Marshall Amp"

22:00-23:00

probably not very technical - but includes interview with founder.

You forgot to mention the two Pink Floyd programmes before and after it at

21.00 and 23.00.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Though I don't think Pink Floyd ever used Marshalls.

It was all Hi-Watts with a load of pedals and Leslie cabinets.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

** Plus a lot of WEM amplifier and cabinets.

This classic pic from the back cover of "Ummagumma" shows Floyd's equipment.

There's a Revox A77, a Binson Echorec drum echo and two Hi-Watts hiding behind band members.

I also see 3 Sennheiser MD409s at the front.

They even carried a few spare 12-inch speakers.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Plus a lot of WEM amplifier and cabinets.

This classic pic from the back cover of "Ummagumma" shows Floyd's equipment.

There's a Revox A77, a Binson Echorec drum echo and two Hi-Watts hiding behind band members.

I also see 3 Sennheiser MD409s at the front.

They even carried a few spare 12-inch speakers.

... Phil

I stopped listening to the Floyd after "The Wall". Great album, but that was enough of Roger Waters' whining for me.

Still think David Gilmour is one of the greatest guitarists ever to walk the planet. I think its the understatement he gets so right.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

** Saw them play live in Sydney, back in August 1971 at Randwick Race Course, mid afternoon. Not the best venue or time.

The Revox A77 opened the set, reels spinning fast, with a stereo recording of a DC3 starting up, taxying and then taking off across the stage from right to left at realistic volume.

The band immediately broke into "One of these Days" from their not yet released "Meddle" album.

Here is a short clip from that concert:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There was another unusual doc in that Fri spot a couple of months back. The life story of one Rupert Neve mixing console , was it in Sound City studios in the states, somewhere famous anyway.

Reply to
N_Cook

There was another unusual doc in that Fri spot a couple of months back. The life story of one Rupert Neve mixing console , was it in Sound City studios in the states, somewhere famous anyway.

You can still buy bits of Neve desk, I had one of these for repair last week:

AMS Neve also make an 8 module rack. Check the price of that one!

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

** Saw them play live in Sydney, back in August 1971 at Randwick Race Course, mid afternoon. Not the best venue or time.

The Revox A77 opened the set, reels spinning fast, with a stereo recording of a DC3 starting up, taxying and then taking off across the stage from right to left at realistic volume.

The band immediately broke into "One of these Days" from their not yet released "Meddle" album.

Here is a short clip from that concert:

.... Phil

Just listened to Meddle for the first time in decades.

My God, that is an album and a half. I'd forgotten the intense pleasure "Echoes" used to bring me.

Was that really made 43 years ago? Blimey.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis
1 passing mention of soft valve distortion v SS hard distortion. No mention of sweet spot. The documentary film of the Neve console was Sound City (2013)
Reply to
N_Cook
1 passing mention of soft valve distortion v SS hard distortion. No mention of sweet spot. The documentary film of the Neve console was Sound City (2013)

I saw that some time ago on BBCi.

It was Dave Grohl out of Nirvana and Foo Fighters that bought the desk for his own studio. Must be nice to afford such a thing.

One interesting thing about these large Neve desks, is that they create so much heat you also need a large Aircon system installed in the studio to run

24/7, as that is what the desk is also required to do. (You never turn these things off)

The annual running costs are phenomenal.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis
1 passing mention of soft valve distortion v SS hard distortion. No mention of sweet spot. The documentary film of the Neve console was Sound City (2013)

I saw that some time ago on BBCi.

It was Dave Grohl out of Nirvana and Foo Fighters that bought the desk for his own studio. Must be nice to afford such a thing.

One interesting thing about these large Neve desks, is that they create so much heat you also need a large Aircon system installed in the studio to run

24/7, as that is what the desk is also required to do. (You never turn these things off)

The annual running costs are phenomenal.

For example, the AMS Neve 1081 rack I recently repaired runs mostly on a single +24v. The faulty output modules in current production use pretty much obsolete large can transistors, the main drivers requiring plug on heatsinks to cope with the Class A design.

Multiply this by the amount of class A circuits in the mixer, and you have the requirements of a local substation and the bills to prove it.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis