Battery Powered Digital Thermostat for window unit

I currently have a 110 AC unit that I have in my bedroom. The thermostat in the unit is not digital and is effected by the outside temp. I have a Hunter 44260 battery powered digital thermostat

there a way that I can set the thermostat up to an AC outlet that I plug the window unit into that would switch the power on and off to the outlet? The thermostat has the following connections G RC RH Y and W. Here is a website to a setup similar to what I am trying to do but it is not a battery powered thermostat.
If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Ethan

I had done that with our swamp cooler. However a mechanical relay raised problems with the TV set. So I used a solid state relay and built a 10 volt DC power supply to trip the SS relay. The programmable relay was the switch between power supply and SS relay W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

Ethan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

What you want to do can be done but it might be cheeper to do something different.

  1. You will need a control circuit usually 24v.

a. a 120v to 24v transformer. b. a contactor rated for the maximum current expected. c. a sutiable electrically arrroved receptical and plug (or hardwire requires an electrician in most areas). d. a container / junction box large enougth for the above parts.

  1. Wire to wire the thermostat to the above constructed project.

This could be very dangerous if done improperly.

120v === Contactor ==== Air conditioner || Control circuit ==== Thermostat

The place you pointed to makes this more difficult than it needs to be.

  1. Get a standard control voltage transformer then none of the electronic parts will be needed. (diodes resistors and such). I reccomend a contactor not a relay because of starting an inductive load (motors). You would use the RC and Y connections on the thermostat for cooling.

If you can't construct the control circuit you should let a professional help you.

Your life your home and your health may depend on it...

R!!

Reply to
R!

The short answer is, "don't do it."

is effected by the outside > temp

Can you be more specific about the above statement?

Take a shot at removing the cause of your problem with shading, insulation, etc.

Aside from the legal and safety issues mentioned in another response, there are issues with compressors. If you switch it on and off without regard to internal pressure at the time of starting, you run the risk of eventually smoking your compressor. mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:

thermostat.http://www.instructables.com/id/EU6DTW30N7EWYFGF10/?ALLSTEPS

I found a better solution

Ethan

Ethan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

442

You need a relay with contacts capable of controlling that unit, and a

24VAC coil and a 24V trasnformer. You MIGHT be able to get a burner control from a furnace to operate it (short the eye). I have a typical 24V electronic wall thermostat controlling a cooling fan that way (but not an A/C).

I have mine connected to Brown (RC) and yellow, with red (RH) and brown (RC) jumpered. Check the manual for yours to be sure

Reply to
Gary Tait

There is an article in the March Issue of "Nuts & Volts" magazine which has a project that meets your need exactly. Check it in your library or order a copy on line.

Al

Reply to
Al

thermostat

thermostat.http://www.instructables.com/id/EU6DTW30N7EWYFGF10/?ALLSTEPS

I saw plans today for just that. I think it's somewhere on Google.

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin