Batteries That Do Not Leak w/Age?

Is there any such thing as an alkaline battery that does not leak with age?

I just had my second episode of Mallory Duracells gooping up a flashlight.

If the answer is "no", can anybody venture a proactive replacement interval for size "C" cells?

--
PeteCresswell
Reply to

Is there any such thing as an alkaline battery that does not leak with age?

I just had my second episode of Mallory Duracells gooping up a flashlight.

If the answer is "no", can anybody venture a proactive replacement interval for size "C" cells?

--
PeteCresswell

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brenda Ann

And, can anyone suggest a good technique to extract bad, swollen "C" batteries (accumulators) out of a Mag-Lite flashlight (torch)?

Lately I've been thinking "a good old fashioned cork-screw!"

The flashlight (torch) looks ok otherwise...

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I recently had to extract AA size cells from such a flashlight. I found a twist drill (sized a bit smaller than the cell dia.) worked effectively (use a drill press if you don't have a steady hand as going in "off axis" will damage the flashlight).

Dental instruments are handy for fishing out the remnants of the "gored" cells.

(N.B. watch your penetration lest you drill past the "frontmost" cell and into the mechanism itself!)

HTH,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

**Yep, although the answer is probably not going to help you all that much. Back in 1986, I purchased a JVC TV set. The remote control came fitted with three JVC branded alkaline batteries (AA size). I finally handed the set over to a family member back in 2000. I figured I should check the batteries, even though the remote worked fine. Sure enough, the batteries weren't leaking, but the cell Volts had fallen to less than 1 Volt in each. A new set of cells and I handed the set over.

JVC alkalines rule!

I've never seen another JVC branded alkaline.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yes.

However, I have no experience with these. I've been wrapping my flashlight batteries in cellophane wrap for years. I have had leaks, but little damage.

How old were the batteries?

5 years would be my guess. The ideal self discharge rate of about 2% for alkalines should leave you with a 90% charge after 5 years. However, getting the battery hot, as in your vehicle (or bicycle), will rapidly decrease the self discharge rate. When the battery gets nearly dead (at about 25% capacity), it starts to belch hydrogen, which is the major cause of leakage.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Maglite flashlights all have screw on caps at both ends of the flashlight. Unscrew both ends, lubricate, and beat on the battery with a wooden dowel and hammer.

Maglite flashlights are not warrantied for battery leakage. However, they do have an arrangement with some battery manufactories to replace your Maglite at their expense. See bottom of:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Experiences vary, but I've had Duracells leak and damage two items. (Duracell was very good about fixing one of the items.) Some have had the opposite experience, having trouble with Energizers and not with Duracells, but the majority of leaks seem to be from Duracells. I will not purchase Duracells. and use them only if they .

When I say "leak", I mean liquid coming out of the cell. I'm not talking about the solid deposits that sometimes appear with any alkaline cell.

For AA cells, get Costco Kirkland, made by Hitachi. They're cheap (25 cents each) and have reasonably good capacity. I've used them for several years and have no complaints.

If you use the flashlight often, get some high-capacity NiMH C cells and a charger. The higher-capacity NiMH cells have a capacity equal to or greater than a disposable cell, so their cost is quickly recouped with items you use a lot.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I recently acquired a Micronta 22-206 FET multimeter dating from 1975. It was in it's box with packing, the controls were seized but responded to lubrication, and the original 1975 batteries were still there. A "C" cell and a 9v battery, both Radio Shack's brand, dead as a doornail, but NO leakage. They were pristine. Boy, did I feel lucky that day.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Per Jeff Liebermann:

Dunno, but now I am going to start putting a strip of electrical tape on each device and writing the battery date on it.

With that in place, I think 12-month replacement sounds reasonable. I'm not going for the last dime, just want the thing to work when I need it.

--
PeteCresswell
Reply to

Duracell is notorious for leaks. I've pounded out a couple from my two 3D cell lights before switching to Energizer.

Meat Plow

Does anyone still sell 10 year shelf life lithium cells?

Do they actually last that long?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

Umm... it's kinda difficult to scribble on electrical tape. I suggest a stick on address label instead.

When the site comes back up, you might want to dig through:

Most of the users in that forum make their own flashlights (and bicycle lights) because the commercial stuff is either overpriced or not very reliable.

Note: The 5 year battery cycle time is my guess and may not reflect reality. I'll ask the local emergency services people what they consider to be reasonable.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't think any of the popular brands are better or worse than the other. My experience has been just the opposite of of the above poster. I use Duracells almost exclusively because I have had nothing but trouble with Energizers. So you make your choice and make periodic checks on your devices. Yes a PIA.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

The labelling of batteries in battery operated devices may seem like obsessive behavior to many, but I've been doing it for years. I typically place a bit of pressure sensitive adhesive/self-stick paper label on or inside a battery cover, or write a month/year directly on one of the batteries with a Sharpie marker.

The paper label can hold several dates before it needs replaced, or erase a previous date if marked in pencil.

I'll replace batteries in flashlights and test meters/equipment after a year, even if they're not low, and put a piece of tape over the terminals of a 9V, or put AAA, AAs and others in a small zip-close bag, keeping sets together.. then use those previously used batteries for temporary use of checking other devices (after quickly checking them with a tester).

I also label my rechargeable power tool batteries, so I can see the last time they were charged. Any time I notice that they haven't had a recent charge, I'll refresh their charge and remark 'em.

It's not a big deal, after one gets used to marking things regularly.. at least it eliminates all the guessing.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cable.mendelson.com:

the 123 cells I got from Surefire have not leaked in over 8 years. marked with an Exp date of 5-2013. I have no idea who makes them for Surefire.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Per Jeff Liebermann:

It's back up and looks promising except that somebody's gone overboard with image verification. It's required for every post, every search, and every preview - even when the user is logged in.

--
PeteCresswell
Reply to

On 11/28/2010 10:26 AM (PeteCresswell) spake thus:

Sounds like that sucks. Maybe you ought to notify them?

I just get a totally blank page when I try to go there.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I got a page or two before it crawled to a stop. The site is VERY slow. However, new posts seem to be appearing on the pages I was able to view. If it ever comes back, it's the main site for experimenting with flashlights and illumination devices.

Oops... Looks like they're down again: CPF is closed at this time in order to fix a few things from the upgrade. It make take some time. I don't know.

The grammar error makes me suspect that someone has been up all night.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've even seen 1.5V button cells leak and bugger up a perfectly good quartz wristwatch.

Reply to
The Peeler