Batt charged but unplug shuts

I have a laptop (Aspire 1) that says the battery is fully charged, but as soon as I unplug, it shuts off.

What if I put my scissors across the (unplugged) AC side of the adaptor? I'm guessing that won't work because of induction?

THen if I got an adaptor plug just like the one on the adaptor and shorted it?

Do I need to takeout the battery?

Any shortcuts?

I also have a smartphone (SX56) which would not charge, then I replaced battery it charged, then when it discharged, would not charge again.

Much obliged

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

What in the name of heaven are you talking about?

You have a hell of a lot of nerve calling Windows users stupid, when you can't even troubleshoot your computer.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

How old is the battery? How many charge cycles? They don't last forever.

Reply to
dave

Well, there are a few possibilities. The most likely is the battery has lost almost all of its capacity. Does the battery have a "fuel gauge" on it? Can you check it while charging and after you try to run the computer on battery power?

It is also possible that the battery management circuits on the laptop have died, so it either fails to actually charge the battery or can't draw power from a good battery. It is even possible the battery-laptop contacts are dirty or bent and not making a connection.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Did this just happen? You've seen it work? Did you buy it used this way?

As a general rule, anything that can be affected by shorting something is something you shouldn't be poking scissors into. The affect of the effect is destructive more often than not.

There are utilities to look at the battery directly.

is one such tool. It's a crap shoot, because there are so many different chipsets in laptops and many different utilities. But, it it works, it can tell you what the battery is telling the battery management software about its condition.

If you find a better/more universal tool, I'd like to hear about it.

Reply to
mike

"as soon as I unplug" -- unplug what? "it shuts off" -- what shuts off??

Oh, well, guessing at what actually takes place, if unplugging the power cable from the laptop - while the laptop is up and running - causes an immediate shut off of the laptop, it could be due to a bad power receptacle in the laptop. Happened to me with an old HP laptop a year ago, or so. There may well be a set of N.O or N.C. contacts in the receptacle housing that are failing when pulling the power plug out. Or, you could have broken solder joints somewhere around the receptacle. It gets a lot abuse in and around that connector.

You are in WAY OVER your head.

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

It is an Acer Aspire running Linpus not Windows.

I do have an identical machine which runs Windows so I might be able to swap batteries. I see no obvious battery compartment, so I imagine I have to open the unit.

What happened is I played with the OS, trying to install a diff version of Linux (Quantian/Knoppix/Debian) and ended up having to reinstall Linpus from CD. It may have needed a larger SD card as secondary disk - I got one but can't set it up just yet. So I didn't use it for about two years. It was fine before that. Linpus is a Fedora variant and I have run into repomd dependency chaos, so I might install a different OS, unless I can just run Java apps. But I can't play with the machine for a few months until the current project I am using it for ends.

I like the size of these Acer Aspire Ones. They are great as Notebooks for reading PDFs and writing notes, but not much else (too slow on XP, but linpus is quite fast - which actually promotes the Java options). I don't like the idea of carrying around something expensive in NYC. I had a similarly sized Compaq Aero 4/25 runnign DOS for ten years and I liked it for the same reasons, but it also had a bum battery (ev'tho I replaced batt) so I had to use it always plugged in in the living room. The LED died in 12/08 the same week my desktop LED screen also died (wierd, never figured, prolly some kind of solar storm, tho bothscreens died during light drizzle outdoors - no machines not wet).

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

The battery is at the back. There are 2 latches that hold it in place just in front of the rear feet. Slide the latches to release the battery and it should pull straight out.

I've got a 16G SDHC card, /home & /var are on it, everything else is on the internal SSD. I replaced Linpus after a week or two with my standard Slackware install, which has since been changed to Salix

13.37 (a Slackware derivative). Bought it originally for travelling, but it's also convenient for reading mail and newsgroups sitting in my living room recliner.
Reply to
Jerry Peters
*+-The battery is at the back. There are 2 latches that hold it in place *+-just in front of the rear feet. Slide the latches to release the *+-battery and it should pull straight out.

Very many thanks!