Bathroom scale

Not a repair question but I hope trying to figure out why is not too far OT.

I recently bought a bathroom scale of recent design, the kind with a clear platform and four legs, with the near legs each connected by a

3/8" siltver tube to the front legs, which are connected to the display etc. AIUI, the sensors are in each of the 4 legs.

When I first get on the scale, 2, 3 lower numbers flash by as it eventually (but quickly) gets to what it says is my weight.

But if I get off, wait for the display to go blank, and get on again, it goes straight to my weight. How can it do it without those intermediate steps? It seems like it has memorized the previous weight, maybe so that it can give the same weight and make people happy (unlike how unhappy I was with a previous scale with which I could gain or lose 4 pounds in 30 seconds.)

OTOH, if I pick up something weighing a pound or two, it does give a higher weight.

So the only question is, When the weight is the same, how does it get to the original weight faster?

BTW, it shows weight to the 10th of the pound. I don't expect it to be accurate to the 10th of a pound, but if it's precise, I can still use that digit for comparisons.

Reply to
micky

Hi, IMO. digital stuffs when turned on needs power on initialization sequence. I have luggage scale with a hook which acts same way. Have to wait few seconds to be ready.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No, Oren, no separate memories for more than one person

I think you got it It starts right away, but can't come to a final decision for a couple seconds.

Thanks, both of you.

Reply to
micky

** LOL - I found one exactly like that being chucked out a few weeks ago. A good clean up and a new lithium cell soon got it working OK.
** My one does that kind of thing too.

I was puzzled why there was a piezo transducer mounted inside the unit next to the electronics - then I discovered the scales reacted to sharp sounds like tapping on the glass plate to active the display.

Funny how folk never place instruction books with throw away gadgets...

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Our Taylor 7506 behaves like that. Wife has always suspected Taylor programmed it that way so that they would get the #1 spot in Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Ro Tund

Maybe.

But the cynic in me suspects another reason.

Yes, memory, but there is logic to see if the new weighing is within a pound (or 2) of the last (last 2 or 3?) weighing. If so, display the old value. It would keep the displayed values within about 2% of each other (for the same obsessive/compulsive person), and it would keep the user from seeing different values and (mis)judging inaccuracies in the device.

As in the Dilbert world, it was probably an engineering requirement specified by the marketing department.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy |  OS/2

We know it takes the thing some time to come up to speed. When person gets off the scale we turn off the display but keep the engine running for a min ute or so just in case there is a multi person weighing-in session coming. Don't want the kiddies to have to wait do we... If no one else steps upon the plate we switch off for good.

not a bad one IMHO

Reply to
malua mada!

Actually, they are exactly the same.

I only reweight myself because I noticed on the other scale it could vary by 4 pounds in 10 seconds. Even Weight Watchers doesn't claim that.

Yes. And noticing that the weights for the same thing were not the same. Like with my previous scale.

And it woudln't be hard to do what you say

That's the sort of thing I had in mind when I posted, but Tony's answer accounts for it also.

Reply to
micky

BTW, they are lower than the final number, but all only 10%, at most

20%, lower than the final number.

That's 2 votes for their being sneaky, and 1 vote for it needing time to warm up.

And I guess my vote is split, 1/2 - 1/2.

Reply to
micky

Get one of these. I had one when I was losing weight about 25 years ago. You won't ever need another scale. No guessing.

Vic Smith