Balanced Power and Pick up lens lifespan

Hi,

Using a balanced power supply is it possible the effect of "Negative" presents in a CD player after being switched off may shorten the life span of the laser unit (pickup lens)?

In normal power supply the switch usually cuts the hot(live) and so no voltage should present in a Cd player. But in the case of balance power supply the switch only cuts the +ve incoming current but the -ve left undisturbed.

This I think affects the lifespan of the laser unit since I have changed 4 over 8 or 10 years. My friend who uses identical equipment but unplugs everything after usage got no problem with his pick up lens. Same problem with different type of players. Voltage and other issues are all eliminated.

Pardon my poor command of english.

Thanks.

Regards, ST

Reply to
ST

What you're saying is completely untrue. Electronic equipment is not designed that way.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Ok, in the case of reverse polarity -will there be any voltage in the CD player even after it is the CD PLAYER switch is switched off? That won't have whatsoever effect on diodes and other components?

Reply to
ST

Ok, in the case of reverse polarity -will there be any voltage in the CD player even after it is the CD PLAYER switch is switched off? That won't have whatsoever effect on diodes and other components?

If the player does not have a "hard" power-supply switch -- and many don't -- there will be a turn-on circuit that draws a bit of power. But there would no reason for leaving the main power supplies on -- and especially (in a device using balanced supplies) leaving one on and the other off.

No designer in his right mind would leave the laser diode running all the time. They have a limited lifespan, and you don't waste it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks. I think you just answered my question as to why I have been changing pick up lens more often then others. I still welcome any other info.

Cheers.

Reply to
ST

Good morning,

While I agree with Mr. Sommerwerck, I did see one implementation of a Sony mechanism that had the laser burning any time the machine was switched on. The only time the laser shut off was when the front panel 'power' switch (actually a standby switch) was in the off position, or of course if the AC mains was disconnected. This was an implementation from around 1996, and used the KSS-240A laser. The next version did not do this.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

"

ementation of a

Curiously, all the pickup lens that died were of Sony pickup lens in the so called High End Universal transport. Anyway, I am still looking for a specific answer, i.e, When the polarity is reversed would the live end in the CD player shortened the life span of the laser unit despite the power switch (hard switch without stand by) off?

Thank you and kind regards, Chelvam

Reply to
ST