Bad laser in the Bose?

I have an old Bose Wave Radio with the built in CD player. Model AWRC-1P. It is starting to have trouble playing certain CDs. It will search and search, you can hear the mechanism, and then, depending on the CD, will play or not. Once it plays one CD it will usually play others until it has been off for several hours. I have cleaned the lens several times but it only seemed to work once, so I don't know if it was a fluke. So I think the laser is failing and I should buy a new one. The assmebly is about 40 bucks delivered so I don't wanna just keep buying parts to see if they are the problem. The CD player has hundreds of hours of time on it so it seems to me a failing laser is probable. Opinions? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Most lasers are adjustable. Not sure where the pot(s) is(are) on a Bose device, but it will be there. Usually they are on the back of the device. I would state that probably 80% of lasers that are replaced could have been adjusted and been just fine.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!

Reply to
pfjw

Look for any markings on the assembly. Some of the Bose units used Sony optics which are still available.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

I found the assembly already. Sanyo makes it. At least it has sanyo molded into the plastic. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

How do I identify these pots and how do I determine which one(s) to turn? Eric

Reply to
etpm

device, but it will be there. Usually they are on the back of the device. I would state that probably 80% of lasers that are replaced could have been adjusted and been just fine.

The pots that should be adjusted are on the board NOT the optics assembly. The optics have an adjustment for laser power that rarely resolves any pro blem. The should be focus and tracking adjustments on the board. You need to see a trace on a scope though to properly "align" the optics.

Reply to
dansabrservices

is one of many for Sanyo. But, once you are in there and identify the exact part number, google that.

Typically clockwise is "More" and counter-clockwise is "Less". As with many things, lasers dim with age.

Note that there is also a distance/focus adjust.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 2:03:18 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

. The optics have an adjustment for laser power that rarely resolves any p roblem. The should be focus and tracking adjustments on the board. You ne ed to see a trace on a scope though to properly "align" the optics.

Not gonna argue, as this also could be true. But with age comes dimming - I have a Revox B225 with an internal date-stamp of 1982. I have had to adjus t the laser level (power) once in the last 20 years I have had it. Focus an d tracking are fine.

Also, about 12 caps. Frakus, as usual, and grease the rails.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I have done a repair on a CD player with very similar symptoms. In my case, however, it did not follow a particular CD. If one CD played, the other one did too, and when one failed to play, the other one did too.

First you say that it is depending on the CD and then you are saying it does not?

In my case, it was a sticky sled motor. When I put the scope across it at super slow sweep, I could see the voltage across the motor, while playing normally, following roughly a sawtooth pattern. When it stopped playing, the voltage would increase and increase until saturation.

--
RoRo
Reply to

It will not start with certain CDs but then once playing would sometimes play the CD it wouldn't to begin with. Now though it seems like it will not play certain CDs no matter how long it has been on. I'm gonna try oiling the laser sled. I have some of the proper oil. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Frakus? (I have a Philips CD player that's a bit fussy that I want to 'refurbish'.)

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Frakus being a German brand of electrolytic capacitor with a rapidly increasing failure rate starting at around age 10.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Thanks Peter, that's what I though made the most sense (though there was a full stop between 'caps' and 'Frakus' which made me wonder) but even googling 'Frakus capacitor' didn't confirm my suspicions.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

I Googled for "Frakus capacitors" and found nothing. Google refered me to Frako capacitors at: which is a German company but which makes big power factor correction capacitors for industrial applications that are unlikely to be found inside a Bose Wave CD player. Are you sure about the "Frakus" name?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Google did the same with me.