Bad Amp, New Amp, Watts & Ohms

Hi Guys (& Girls),

I have a possibly a simple question for any electrician/engineer types out there...

If I plug speakers rated at :: 6 Watts , 1 kHz and 4 ohms

into an amplifier they weren't designed for, with channels rated at ::

100 Watts RMS, 8 ohms 1%THD

..can I damage either the Amplifier or the Speakers?

With my limited electricial knowledge I'm guessing running too much power through something that isn't designed for it is a bad thing but.. I only intend to turn this amplifier up to a certain amount....

Boring story, if you want to answer me now please do - if you have questions read on..

The story:: I bought a low budget, cheapest 5.1 Yamaha sound system you can get

7years ago and it didn't last long (When I realised it wasn't working very well it was way past warranty). It was recently repaired by a lovely old character of an electrician but he told me that getting parts from Yamaha would be very expensive, so he used a TV transitor and said it may not last long. It didn't. :-( But I was glad he even looked at it...He was a funny guy, sounds like he's pretty sad that fixing applicance as a small business is not a viable way to make a living :( Anyway, I saw what looked to be a bargain amplifier advertised in a catalouge, branded Tevion in Aldi stores in Australia. Without turning it on (without speakers to plug in to it yet) it looks well made. A massive heat sink inside and its very heavy. Nice metal casing and brushed metal outside. It also does dolby, dts, 7.1 and a few other things.... Sounds good, recommened on looks so far :D Aldi's a German store so hopefully this thing has some of that quality German design built in.. (not that i really know if this is true, time will tell.) Have a looksee::

I want to use my tiny little 5.1 Yamaha speakers, which did actually sound nice with my new Amp. But I'm worried the effect of too many Watts or Ohms could be a bad thing...

I don't know what ohms are, (i think i've read a How Stuff Works article on electricity and I'm still hopelessly lost)..

Any Ideas anyone...?? Set me straight about this, Am I worried about nothing or do they list 'Specifications' for a reason.. (not for dumb-asres like me obviously) :P

Reply to
nilo

U risk damage to the amp with lower-than-spec'd speaker impedance -- it causes stress from excessive current flow. Some amps are made to handle as low as 2-ohms. U risk damage to the speakers if u crank the vol up to high -- with these weaker speakers, that won't be hard to do. The latter point is moot, though, since u shouldn't be using them with this amp in the first place.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Let your ears be your guide. If you turn the thing up so loud the speakers start distorting badly, the you can destroy them. If you don't use them at a higher volume than you've previously demonstrated is safe you'll be fine.

Headroom in your amp is a good thing, just use a light tough on the volume control.

/ff

Reply to
FearlessFerret

Yes, either of two ways.

If you turn the volume way up, you can burn out the speakers with excessive power. However, if you keep the volume down, that won't be a problem.

If the amplifier is rated for 8-ohm speakers, it may be damaged trying to drive 4-ohm speakers. But, again, if you keep the volume down, that won't be a problem. If it sounds OK, it's working fine. If it sounds distorted, it's not. If you are one of these people whose idea of music is "thump-crash-thump-crash-skzzzz-thump-crash-skzzzz" you will probably damage both the speakers and the amplifier.

Did you have physics in high school?

Reply to
mc

Probably not in this case since the speaker would fry before the amp was in trouble.

Amen.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

That depends- very high power amps are capable of huge transients and can cook speakers even though the sound level seems safe. Connecting 6W speakers to an amp like that is sure to damage them sooner or later. Even worse- they're too low an impedance. The amp and speaker are both at risk, and even if the amp survives the mismatch, if the speaker voice coil burns out it could present a catastrophic short to the amp and destroy it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

"nilo" wrote in news:1150458128.054403.90400 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

You forgot to tell us what kind of music you listen to, and how loud. (c:)

Reply to
Jim Land

Well I certainly came to the right place :D

Thanks all, it seems general consensus is as I tentatively guessed, as long as its not too loud (and too much power isn't going into the little speakers) it will probably be okay. But I take everyone's point about damage being done that isn't audible, transient (voltages is it?)... So there are some risks, I guess the follow-up question should be what has people's experience been here?, has anyone run amps with lower rated speakers at a reasonable volume? No doubt uninformed people like myself do :)

The speakers advertised with the amplifier for another $299 vary vastly in size. Four tiny speakers like the ones i already have, 2 huge ones, a big sub woofer, and a mid size centre. I'm guessing these themselves would all vary in there rated tolerances...interesting given all channels on the amp are equal 100watts.

So, I'll play it by ear - sorry about that..

Did they have physics when I was in school? Yep , and I wish I'd taken it and made an effort to understand these basics of how the world works, never to late huh?

Music - rock, pop, oldies, and whatever sounds good.. It is funny though, a few years ago I liked a bassier sound but I think maybe my tastes are becomming more refined at my 25 yrs, (or that bass sent me deaf).

I hope this question was worthwhile to others too, thanks for replying all.

Jim Land (NO SPAM) wrote:

Reply to
nilo

Save up your money and get some decent speakers to suit the amp. At the moment you've bought the car but don't have any wheels.

Then sit back and enjoy all of the sounds your amplifier was(hopefully) made for.

6 watts just aint enough. Most of the comments I've read seem like good advice.

Happy listening, Boozo.

Reply to
Boozo